Chloe - Vetmedin and Lethargy

  • zan200
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 18, 2013
      Hi All,

      Chloe had her first trial dose of Vetmedin this morning and I've noticed her to be increasingly lethargic as the day has progressed. When getting her ready for her assist-feeding this evening I really had to "work" to wake her up, and after feeding her she did not do her usual "jump off the chair and get a drink" - she just fell back asleep - it's just been a variety of small unusual behaviors all day.

      Chloe has been sleeping in bed most of the day with my mom - even Mom noticed Chloe seemed to be excessively lethargic...Only change is the Vetmedin.

      I gave Chloe a bit more fluid as she seemed slightly dehydrated (picked up fur on her back - it did not immediately bounce back. Chloe usually drinks on her own, but since she's been sleeping I don't think she's gotten up to drink - hence, some dehydration?

      I'm thinking of skipping tonight's dose and calling the vet tomorrow AM. I was supposed to double the dose tomorrow (1/4 pill 2X today-1/2 pill 2X tomorrow) - but I definitely do not want to do this...

      Chloe's been doing well these past couple of weeks, so I'm concerned about this change in behavior...

      Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated - my "worry" senses are on overload yet again....

      Thanks so much,
      Suzanne and Chloe
    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 19, 2013
        Hi Suzanne

        Please don't worry. It's perfectly normal when they take a new drug like
        fortekor or vetmedin to be sleepy for a few days. My cats did this for about
        3-5 days and then bounced back to their usual activities. New drugs always
        do this for my kitties. They get used to it quickly. Maybe keep her on the
        half dose for a few extra days though, ask your cardiologist?