RE: dry cough and CoQ10

  • Mary Sue Rubin
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 18, 2013
      Thanks Suzanne. Maybe it is the benazepril and she is coughing during the
      day rather than at night which he said is the norm. Of course every cat is
      different. For now we'll just keep a close watch to see if it increases in
      frequency.
      Mary Sue

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 19, 2013
        Mary Sue,

        May started benaz about 12 days ago and no cough, nor have I read anywhere that it is a side effect.

        -Lee and May
        ==================
        dry cough and CoQ10
        Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:38 am (PDT) . Posted by:
        "Mary Sue Rubin" rexmere3909
        I just had a conversation with Esther’s cardiologist about her progress.
        She’s doing okay considering but she recently developed a dry cough. It’s
        just a couple times a day, not related to exercise. He said is not likely
        due to Vetmedin which is what I thought, but more likely to benazepril, but
        that is usually nocturnal and hers is during the day. Has anyone else had
        cats on heart meds with a dry cough? Her abdominal fluid resolved after her
        initial treatment started and she is now on 5mg furosemide once a day,
        Vetmedin ½ of a 1.25 mg tab twice a day, benazapril 1.25 mg/day, and ¼ of an
        81mg aspirin twice a week.

        I asked him about CoQ10 and learned some things I didn’t know. He said that
        it can’t hurt, but he is not convinced that it helps and there had been no
        good research on its use in cats. He has had some cats on it and could not
        confirm that it made a difference. He has no problem with me trying it. He
        said it is very unstable when exposed to light and has to be suspended in
        oil and must be in an amber capsule to protect it from light. That means a
        big capsule for a cat. I asked about squeezing it out of the capsule onto
        food and he said it would immediately degrade from the light. He recommended
        using Nutramax CoMalQ10 if I wanted to try. He said the dose would be
        15mg/day. The problem with that is that the capsule is 45mg which I didn’t
        discover until after I spoke with him. Ha anyone found a high quality CoQ10
        in an amber capsule that is 15mg?

        I also want to say that when I told him I had joined this group he said,
        “That’s great.” This is a great group.

        Mary Sue
      • Mary Sue Rubin
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 19, 2013
          Thanks Lee. It could be unrelated and we may never find out. She is 18 and it could be anything at this point. Her original x-rays and scans showed liver nodules, but nothing heart or lung related. We’ll be going back to the vet for blood work and BP check soon so he’ll have a listen to everything. If he finds anything conclusive I’ll let the group know.