dry cough and CoQ10

  • Mary Sue Rubin
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 18 11:38 AM
      I just had a conversation with Esther’s cardiologist about her progress.
      She’s doing okay considering but she recently developed a dry cough. It’s
      just a couple times a day, not related to exercise. He said is not likely
      due to Vetmedin which is what I thought, but more likely to benazepril, but
      that is usually nocturnal and hers is during the day. Has anyone else had
      cats on heart meds with a dry cough? Her abdominal fluid resolved after her
      initial treatment started and she is now on 5mg furosemide once a day,
      Vetmedin ½ of a 1.25 mg tab twice a day, benazapril 1.25 mg/day, and ¼ of an
      81mg aspirin twice a week.

      I asked him about CoQ10 and learned some things I didn’t know. He said that
      it can’t hurt, but he is not convinced that it helps and there had been no
      good research on its use in cats. He has had some cats on it and could not
      confirm that it made a difference. He has no problem with me trying it. He
      said it is very unstable when exposed to light and has to be suspended in
      oil and must be in an amber capsule to protect it from light. That means a
      big capsule for a cat. I asked about squeezing it out of the capsule onto
      food and he said it would immediately degrade from the light. He recommended
      using Nutramax CoMalQ10 if I wanted to try. He said the dose would be
      15mg/day. The problem with that is that the capsule is 45mg which I didn’t
      discover until after I spoke with him. Ha anyone found a high quality CoQ10
      in an amber capsule that is 15mg?

      I also want to say that when I told him I had joined this group he said,
      “That’s great.” This is a great group.

      Mary Sue

    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 18 11:49 AM
        Hi

        I give 30mg of CoQ every day to my heart cats. I get it in bulk (1000 at a
        time) from an online supplement store and it comes in black capsules which
        the cats just gulp down in chicken. The alternative is pierce the capsule
        with a knife tip, open kitty's mouth and squeeze it in:) If you start coQ
        you can't suddenly stop it.

        None of mine have a dry cough. It may be a coincidence and may be an
        infection or even allergic. Mine have similar pills to yours. My young boy, Gus,
        had a dry cough and so did Lexi, both are non-HCM cats, we had throat swabs
        done and it was a bacterial infection which cleared up with antibiotics. I
        think it was mycoplasma? But can't remember. It needed a special
        antibiotic and never came back.

      • zan200
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 18 12:38 PM
          Hi Mary Sue,

          I can't comment on the possible feline side-effects, but my mother and my aunt used to take lisinopril, an ACE inhibitor in the same general family as benazepril. Both developed a dry cough and both were told this was a common side-effect of many "pril" drugs.

          Don't know if this med-related type of dry cough is the same for kitties as it is for their human heart patient counterparts - just thought I'd pass on this bit of info...
          Suzanne and Chloe
        • Mary Sue Rubin
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 18 12:41 PM
            Thanks Lyn.

            Mary Sue

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 18 12:46 PM
              Thanks Suzanne. Maybe it is the benazepril and she is coughing during the
              day rather than at night which he said is the norm. Of course every cat is
              different. For now we'll just keep a close watch to see if it increases in
              frequency.

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 19 7:28 AM
                Mary Sue,

                May started benaz about 12 days ago and no cough, nor have I read anywhere that it is a side effect.

                -Lee and May
                dry cough and CoQ10
                Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:38 am (PDT) . Posted by:
                "Mary Sue Rubin" rexmere3909

                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 19 8:06 AM
                  Thanks Lee. It could be unrelated and we may never find out. She is 18 and it could be anything at this point. Her original x-rays and scans showed liver nodules, but nothing heart or lung related. We’ll be going back to the vet for blood work and BP check soon so he’ll have a listen to everything. If he finds anything conclusive I’ll let the group know.