Vetmedin and Schedule Questions

  • zan200
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 18, 2013
      Hi Lyn,
      I gave Chloe her first dose of Vetmedin at 9:00AM (EST). No problems so far. My vet said I can combine the Vetmedin with Lasix, but not with Chloe's enalapril. Also, no food 1 hour before or after administering the Vetmedin. I've been trying to do the no food before and after Lasix to see if it's more effective (it seems to help with people on Lasix) - vet says it can't hurt to try.
      Scheduling is BRUTAL -- how do you space out Trixi's drugs?

      Chloe like a "snack" in the early AM so I gave her a little dish of food at 7:30AM
      Food finished before 8:00AM
      Vetmedin/Lasix 9:00AM
      Syringe Food 10:00 or 10:30AM
      Enalapril/Sprio/Syringe Water 12:00PM
      Syringe Food 2:00 or 3:00PM
      Lasix 5:00PM
      Cypro 6:00 or 6:30PM/Water
      Food 7:00 or 7:30PM
      Vetmedin 9:00PM
      Lasix/Enal./Spiro/Water 12:00AM

      The most difficult - I have appointments etc. during the day and don't want to get behind, so the schedule will have to be bumped up and down accordingly. Many doctor's appointments with Mom...Chloe likes to "snack" on Fancy Feast periodically, especially in the PM after her cypro - I'm having a tough time figuring out when to give and take away food - I hate to give her an appetitie stimulant just to have to take her little "snack" away...so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

      Suzanne and Chloe

      > Hi Suzanne
      >
      > Vetmedin is a wonder drug for my two cats, there were no side effects, it
      > helped their hearts combined with other drugs. I wouldn't hesitate to use
      > it. Trixi was given no chance at all after her heart attack, vetmedin was
      > given as a trial because nothing else could be done and here she is a few
      > years later. I hope it works for Chloe too.
      >
      > Lyn

    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 18, 2013
        Hi Suzanne

        I give all my morning pills at 9am, an hour after breakfast. These are
        various combinations of vetmedin, benazepril, lasix, spiro, plavix, CoQ,
        atenolol, cosequin, felimasole. They are given with chicken or paste. Evening
        pills are given at 9pm.

        All pills are given together with a slice of chicken or paste. I've never
        been asked to give them separately for any cat or without food.

        Lyn:)

      • Jordan
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 18, 2013
          Hi,

          I just wanted to let you know that my kitty, Sheba also has "unclassifed cardiomyopathy". She just recently started Plavix.
          Love and kitty kisses to you and Chloe.

          Hugs,
          Jordan and Sheba