Update: Mom and Chloe

  • zan200
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 17, 2013
      Hi Everyone...

      First, I wanted to thank everyone here on the Forum for all your kind notes of care and concern - they definitely helped me get through one of the most stressful and stress-filled weeks I've experienced...

      My mother came home from the hospital late Wednesday - she was exhausted and still quite ill. I can see it's going to take quite a while for her to recover as she's not only dealing with the remnants of the pneumonia, but the aches, pains, and bruises from the fall she took when she fainted...

      I thankfully was able to leave Mom alone for a few hours Thurs. morning to take Chloe in for her checkup. Chloe's latest x-rays were good - no increase in fluid since her last x-ray 2 weeks ago/blood work also OK. The vet really wants me to start Chloe on Vetmedin 2X per day - she thinks Chloe's condition is at the stage where the possible benefits of the Vetmedin outweigh the possible risks. I also learned that the vet does not think Chloe has "classic" HCM (where Vetmedin is sometimes not indicated) but described her condition more as "unclassified" cardiomyopathy.

      I'm planning on starting the Vetmedin tomorrow (by now today) morning, and I'm praying she doesn't experience any side-effects. I'm so worried about "rocking the boat" when Chloe seems to be doing well - all other drugs were started when Chloe was in a life and death crisis, so there really was no time to worry or overthink everything...

      Again, thank you so very much for your wonderful support - Fingers and paws crossed all goes well with the Vetmedin...

      Suzanne and Chloe
    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 18, 2013
        Hi Suzanne

        Vetmedin is a wonder drug for my two cats, there were no side effects, it
        helped their hearts combined with other drugs. I wouldn't hesitate to use
        it. Trixi was given no chance at all after her heart attack, vetmedin was
        given as a trial because nothing else could be done and here she is a few
        years later. I hope it works for Chloe too.

      • zan200
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 18, 2013
          Hi Lyn,
          I gave Chloe her first dose of Vetmedin at 9:00AM (EST). No problems so far. My vet said I can combine the Vetmedin with Lasix, but not with Chloe's enalapril. Also, no food 1 hour before or after administering the Vetmedin. I've been trying to do the no food before and after Lasix to see if it's more effective (it seems to help with people on Lasix) - vet says it can't hurt to try.
          Scheduling is BRUTAL -- how do you space out Trixi's drugs?

          Chloe like a "snack" in the early AM so I gave her a little dish of food at 7:30AM
          Food finished before 8:00AM
          Vetmedin/Lasix 9:00AM
          Syringe Food 10:00 or 10:30AM
          Enalapril/Sprio/Syringe Water 12:00PM
          Syringe Food 2:00 or 3:00PM
          Lasix 5:00PM
          Cypro 6:00 or 6:30PM/Water
          Food 7:00 or 7:30PM
          Vetmedin 9:00PM
          Lasix/Enal./Spiro/Water 12:00AM

          The most difficult - I have appointments etc. during the day and don't want to get behind, so the schedule will have to be bumped up and down accordingly. Many doctor's appointments with Mom...Chloe likes to "snack" on Fancy Feast periodically, especially in the PM after her cypro - I'm having a tough time figuring out when to give and take away food - I hate to give her an appetitie stimulant just to have to take her little "snack" away...so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

          Suzanne and Chloe

          > Hi Suzanne
          >
          > Vetmedin is a wonder drug for my two cats, there were no side effects, it
          > helped their hearts combined with other drugs. I wouldn't hesitate to use
          > it. Trixi was given no chance at all after her heart attack, vetmedin was
          > given as a trial because nothing else could be done and here she is a few
          > years later. I hope it works for Chloe too.
          >
          > Lyn

        • elfinmyst
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 18, 2013
            Hi Suzanne

            I give all my morning pills at 9am, an hour after breakfast. These are
            various combinations of vetmedin, benazepril, lasix, spiro, plavix, CoQ,
            atenolol, cosequin, felimasole. They are given with chicken or paste. Evening
            pills are given at 9pm.

            All pills are given together with a slice of chicken or paste. I've never
            been asked to give them separately for any cat or without food.

            Lyn:)

          • Jordan
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 18, 2013
              Hi,

              I just wanted to let you know that my kitty, Sheba also has "unclassifed cardiomyopathy". She just recently started Plavix.
              Love and kitty kisses to you and Chloe.

              Hugs,
              Jordan and Sheba