Re: Hello--I am new

  • r schu
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 17, 2013
      I'm no expert, but I wonder if enalapril is good for the kidneys? Or is it benazapril? Benaz is perported to be good for kidneys, though I've read mixed opinions about this.

      As I see it, and let me say again, I'm no expert and new at all this heart stuff, but both of these drugs are ace inhibitors, which inhibit the raas hormone system from constricting blood vessels in the kidneys, I think. (as well as the heart?)

      Benazepril is 'cleared' by the liver and enalapril by the kidneys, so I've read, so I think it's generally thought better to give benazepril to a kidney cat.

      My May just started benazepril for hcm and she had advanced crf. So far she is doing fine, and is eating more too. Our cardiologist suggested benazepril over enalepril for this reason.

      Hope this helps.

      -Lee and Miss May
      ==================================
      Re: Hello--I am new
      Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:57 am (PDT) . Posted by:
      elfinmyst

      Hello Lance

      Sedona urgently needs a heart ultrasound. The Xray does not diagnose heart
      disease, just shows the size of the heart. The ultrasound sees the heart in
      3d and tells you exactly what is wrong. Unfortunately with the raspy
      sounds, it does sound as if Sedona is entering heart failure and that needs
      immediate treatment. The cardiologist should be able to do the ultrasound and
      give immediate treatment afterwards. It would be diuretics and something to
      help the heart.

      There are a few issues can cause heart disease, such as anaemia and
      hyperthyroid so a full blood test would be likely to happen. The ultasound is not
      so stressful and doesn't need an anaesthetic but I would ask for one as
      very urgent. Your other issue is the fluids to help her kidneys, that needs to
      be very carefully controlled with heart disease. A cardiologist is by far
      the best person to help you here as they are aware of dealing with multiple
      issues.

      Prednisolone is not good for cat with heart failure. It will push them
      further into CHF and many cats here have only been diagnosed after taking a
      steroid pushed them to CHF.

      There is a drug which can help the heart called enalapril (fortekor) and
      this is also a drug which helps the kidneys. You may be prescribed this as
      well as other drugs, likely a diuretic to reduce fluid on the lungs. I am so
      sorry you have so many issues all at once, you're doing a fantastic job,
      but I can't stress how urgent the ultrasound is.

      Lyn.
    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 17, 2013
        Hi

        You're absolutely right. It's fortekor my cats are on and I just checked it
        is Benazepril. And mine are on it because it also helps the kidneys. All
        my cats take this drug, even those with renal problems.

        Thankyou for pointing that out, Lee:)

      • r schu
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 18, 2013
          Lyn,

          When I was deciding about benazepril for May, somebody sent me the link to mar vista vet drug info and there is a warning there, about using ace inhibitors with lasix in kidney cats.  Tanya's crf site also says it can be dangerous for crf cats past a certain point. That is why I was so worried about May.

          The cardiologist we are seeing indicated that it was worth the risk, because her heart needed it.  If you give benazepril to a crf cat, kidney values are supposed to be checked within 5-10 days.  We are going in Wednesday to check May's blood.  But so far she is doing well on it, and I really think it is the reason she's eating more.

          The Dr. Karen on this site said it might increase appetite, but our cardiologist thinks that she's just feeling better and doesn't think benaz increases appetite.

          I'm just happy she's eating more.

          -Lee and May

          ================

          Re: Hello--I am new
          Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:51 pm (PDT) . Posted by:
          elfinmyst
          Hi

          You're absolutely right. It's fortekor my cats are on and I just checked it
          is Benazepril. And mine are on it because it also helps the kidneys. All
          my cats take this drug, even those with renal problems.

          Thankyou for pointing that out, Lee:)

          Lyn
        • elfinmyst
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 18, 2013
            HI

            My Josh has had CRF and HCM for 3 years now and takes 5mg benazepril daily
            for longer than that. His kidney values are stable at the last check and
            have been for several years. He also has 10mg lasix daily which was
            introduced a few months ago. So I`ll be keeping my eye on him. His appetite is
            varied, some days good , others not so, but he has hyperthyroid treatment as
            well.

            My other benaz cats are greedy hogs! They'll eat anything which is great
            for pilling:)

          • r schu
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 19, 2013
              So Lyn,

              You agree that benaz has stimulated appetite of your other cats? May gets 3mg lasix qd and 1.25 benaz, much lower than Josh.

              What were Josh's kidney values before and after starting benaz? crea, bun, phos, k? If you have the data.

              -Lee and May

              ==========================
              Re: Hello--I am new
              Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:14 am (PDT) . Posted by:

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 19, 2013
                Hi Lee

                I don't think benaz has stimulated the appetite because my cats are Selkirk
                Rex and are the greediest cats ever:) My Maxi and Lexi are both over 8kg
                and don't take benaz. All my cats have always been greedy and I didn't
                notice it worse.

                I don't have the data for Josh's results but he was in quite serious kidney
                failure a few years ago. He'd stopped eating and was very unwell. After
                fluids, he was better and is now moderate kidney failure and has had benaz
                for at least four years. It helps his HCM and CRF.