Re: Hello--I am new

  • elfinmyst
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 15, 2013
      Hello Lance

      Sedona urgently needs a heart ultrasound. The Xray does not diagnose heart
      disease, just shows the size of the heart. The ultrasound sees the heart in
      3d and tells you exactly what is wrong. Unfortunately with the raspy
      sounds, it does sound as if Sedona is entering heart failure and that needs
      immediate treatment. The cardiologist should be able to do the ultrasound and
      give immediate treatment afterwards. It would be diuretics and something to
      help the heart.

      There are a few issues can cause heart disease, such as anaemia and
      hyperthyroid so a full blood test would be likely to happen. The ultasound is not
      so stressful and doesn't need an anaesthetic but I would ask for one as
      very urgent. Your other issue is the fluids to help her kidneys, that needs to
      be very carefully controlled with heart disease. A cardiologist is by far
      the best person to help you here as they are aware of dealing with multiple
      issues.

      Prednisolone is not good for cat with heart failure. It will push them
      further into CHF and many cats here have only been diagnosed after taking a
      steroid pushed them to CHF.

      There is a drug which can help the heart called enalapril (fortekor) and
      this is also a drug which helps the kidneys. You may be prescribed this as
      well as other drugs, likely a diuretic to reduce fluid on the lungs. I am so
      sorry you have so many issues all at once, you're doing a fantastic job,
      but I can't stress how urgent the ultrasound is.

      Lyn.

    • r schu
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 17, 2013
        I'm no expert, but I wonder if enalapril is good for the kidneys? Or is it benazapril? Benaz is perported to be good for kidneys, though I've read mixed opinions about this.

        As I see it, and let me say again, I'm no expert and new at all this heart stuff, but both of these drugs are ace inhibitors, which inhibit the raas hormone system from constricting blood vessels in the kidneys, I think. (as well as the heart?)

        Benazepril is 'cleared' by the liver and enalapril by the kidneys, so I've read, so I think it's generally thought better to give benazepril to a kidney cat.

        My May just started benazepril for hcm and she had advanced crf. So far she is doing fine, and is eating more too. Our cardiologist suggested benazepril over enalepril for this reason.

        Hope this helps.

        -Lee and Miss May
        ==================================
        Re: Hello--I am new
        Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:57 am (PDT) . Posted by:

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 17, 2013
          Hi

          You're absolutely right. It's fortekor my cats are on and I just checked it
          is Benazepril. And mine are on it because it also helps the kidneys. All
          my cats take this drug, even those with renal problems.

          Thankyou for pointing that out, Lee:)

        • r schu
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 18, 2013
            Lyn,

            When I was deciding about benazepril for May, somebody sent me the link to mar vista vet drug info and there is a warning there, about using ace inhibitors with lasix in kidney cats.  Tanya's crf site also says it can be dangerous for crf cats past a certain point. That is why I was so worried about May.

            The cardiologist we are seeing indicated that it was worth the risk, because her heart needed it.  If you give benazepril to a crf cat, kidney values are supposed to be checked within 5-10 days.  We are going in Wednesday to check May's blood.  But so far she is doing well on it, and I really think it is the reason she's eating more.

            The Dr. Karen on this site said it might increase appetite, but our cardiologist thinks that she's just feeling better and doesn't think benaz increases appetite.

            I'm just happy she's eating more.

            -Lee and May

            ================

            Re: Hello--I am new
            Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:51 pm (PDT) . Posted by:
            elfinmyst
            Hi

            You're absolutely right. It's fortekor my cats are on and I just checked it
            is Benazepril. And mine are on it because it also helps the kidneys. All
            my cats take this drug, even those with renal problems.

            Thankyou for pointing that out, Lee:)

            Lyn
          • elfinmyst
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 18, 2013
              HI

              My Josh has had CRF and HCM for 3 years now and takes 5mg benazepril daily
              for longer than that. His kidney values are stable at the last check and
              have been for several years. He also has 10mg lasix daily which was
              introduced a few months ago. So I`ll be keeping my eye on him. His appetite is
              varied, some days good , others not so, but he has hyperthyroid treatment as
              well.

              My other benaz cats are greedy hogs! They'll eat anything which is great
              for pilling:)

            • r schu
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 19, 2013
                So Lyn,

                You agree that benaz has stimulated appetite of your other cats? May gets 3mg lasix qd and 1.25 benaz, much lower than Josh.

                What were Josh's kidney values before and after starting benaz? crea, bun, phos, k? If you have the data.

                -Lee and May

                ==========================
                Re: Hello--I am new
                Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:14 am (PDT) . Posted by:

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 19, 2013
                  Hi Lee

                  I don't think benaz has stimulated the appetite because my cats are Selkirk
                  Rex and are the greediest cats ever:) My Maxi and Lexi are both over 8kg
                  and don't take benaz. All my cats have always been greedy and I didn't
                  notice it worse.

                  I don't have the data for Josh's results but he was in quite serious kidney
                  failure a few years ago. He'd stopped eating and was very unwell. After
                  fluids, he was better and is now moderate kidney failure and has had benaz
                  for at least four years. It helps his HCM and CRF.