Hello--I am new

  • cactusspine
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 14, 2013
      Hello,

      History of last few months:
      My name is Lance and my 18yr female is Sedona. Sedona has kidney issues, inflammed bowel disease and now some form of heart/lung issues (described below) For the last 3-4 months we have been treating her for inflamed bowel disease symptoms. During the myriad vet visits numerous vets had commented on her high heart rate and murmur. Her initial heart rate at the stressed vets office was around 210 and the murmur was rated a 3. Most recent vet visit on Tuesday she had a heart rate of 252 with a murmur at a 4/5. Over the last 6 weeks we have been monitoring her heart rate and breath rate very closely while resting at home. the lowest heart rate we have seen was 124 and up until today 160 with a general average of 140. Her breaths per minute are usually around 33 while resting (Sleeping). Over the last 6 weeks we have noticed her breathing becoming more raspy specifically during and after purring. Usually followed by lots of hard swallowing and sometimes multiple coughs. We were getting ready to start her on Prednilosone for her IBD but due to increased heart rate and bpm we wanted to make sure she was not in some form of congestive heart failure. We had a chest x ray on tuesday but the radiologist is not available to analyze it until next week. Our vet looked at it and said he does not see any obvious signs of CHF but her heart shadow may be slightly enlarged and he did see some possible evidence of "inflammation" but no evidence of fluid.

      Today she had a pretty significant IBD flare (or so we think, vomiting and diarrhea) and during and since this episode her heart rate and breathing has been quite elevated (heart 216 this morning and between 160-180) every other time.

      As we try to digest all of this new information (higher than normal breath rate, very high heart rate and increasing, murmur that appears to be getting worse, breath noises and coughing.) we are trying to gather as much as we can. Since our cat is becoming more and more panic stricken at going to the vets we we have a phone consult with a cardiologist on Monday (planning on sending them the chest xray) and we have a mobile vet coming (general prac)on Tuesday to provide us with her opinion and suggestions.

      I have a few specific questions that I would truly appreciate anyone's opinion on (It will be taken as opinion and not gospel). I have posed similar questions on the feline asthma forum.

      Is it plausible that Sedona's murmur is caused by the high heart rate, and the high heart rate is caused by the lung inflammation?

      With such a high heart rate and distinct murmur what are the risks of giving her prednisolone. It has been prescribed for her bowel inflammation and now for her lung inflammation (as yet fully diagnosed) but we are scared that even such a low dose (1.25mg 1xD)could cause further damage/risk to her heart condition.

      Although I am now very well versed about the various bowel/pancreas/kidney issues as we have been dealing with these for many months I am completely new to the heart/lung issues and treatments. Any links, questions, suggestions, things to ask the cardiologist in the phone consult on Monday would by hugely appreciated.

      We love sedona and have to date done everything we can to make her as comfortable as we can during her old age (we have a vet tech come 2x a week to give her fluids and administer any injections that might be necessary)

      Thanks in advance, Sorry for rambling.

      Lance and a sick little anxious Sedona
    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 15, 2013
        Hello Lance

        Sedona urgently needs a heart ultrasound. The Xray does not diagnose heart
        disease, just shows the size of the heart. The ultrasound sees the heart in
        3d and tells you exactly what is wrong. Unfortunately with the raspy
        sounds, it does sound as if Sedona is entering heart failure and that needs
        immediate treatment. The cardiologist should be able to do the ultrasound and
        give immediate treatment afterwards. It would be diuretics and something to
        help the heart.

        There are a few issues can cause heart disease, such as anaemia and
        hyperthyroid so a full blood test would be likely to happen. The ultasound is not
        so stressful and doesn't need an anaesthetic but I would ask for one as
        very urgent. Your other issue is the fluids to help her kidneys, that needs to
        be very carefully controlled with heart disease. A cardiologist is by far
        the best person to help you here as they are aware of dealing with multiple
        issues.

        Prednisolone is not good for cat with heart failure. It will push them
        further into CHF and many cats here have only been diagnosed after taking a
        steroid pushed them to CHF.

        There is a drug which can help the heart called enalapril (fortekor) and
        this is also a drug which helps the kidneys. You may be prescribed this as
        well as other drugs, likely a diuretic to reduce fluid on the lungs. I am so
        sorry you have so many issues all at once, you're doing a fantastic job,
        but I can't stress how urgent the ultrasound is.

        Lyn.

      • r schu
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 17, 2013
          I'm no expert, but I wonder if enalapril is good for the kidneys? Or is it benazapril? Benaz is perported to be good for kidneys, though I've read mixed opinions about this.

          As I see it, and let me say again, I'm no expert and new at all this heart stuff, but both of these drugs are ace inhibitors, which inhibit the raas hormone system from constricting blood vessels in the kidneys, I think. (as well as the heart?)

          Benazepril is 'cleared' by the liver and enalapril by the kidneys, so I've read, so I think it's generally thought better to give benazepril to a kidney cat.

          My May just started benazepril for hcm and she had advanced crf. So far she is doing fine, and is eating more too. Our cardiologist suggested benazepril over enalepril for this reason.

          Hope this helps.

          -Lee and Miss May
          ==================================
          Re: Hello--I am new
          Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:57 am (PDT) . Posted by:

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 17, 2013
            Hi

            You're absolutely right. It's fortekor my cats are on and I just checked it
            is Benazepril. And mine are on it because it also helps the kidneys. All
            my cats take this drug, even those with renal problems.

            Thankyou for pointing that out, Lee:)

          • r schu
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 18, 2013
              Lyn,

              When I was deciding about benazepril for May, somebody sent me the link to mar vista vet drug info and there is a warning there, about using ace inhibitors with lasix in kidney cats.  Tanya's crf site also says it can be dangerous for crf cats past a certain point. That is why I was so worried about May.

              The cardiologist we are seeing indicated that it was worth the risk, because her heart needed it.  If you give benazepril to a crf cat, kidney values are supposed to be checked within 5-10 days.  We are going in Wednesday to check May's blood.  But so far she is doing well on it, and I really think it is the reason she's eating more.

              The Dr. Karen on this site said it might increase appetite, but our cardiologist thinks that she's just feeling better and doesn't think benaz increases appetite.

              I'm just happy she's eating more.

              -Lee and May

              ================

              Re: Hello--I am new
              Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:51 pm (PDT) . Posted by:
              elfinmyst
              Hi

              You're absolutely right. It's fortekor my cats are on and I just checked it
              is Benazepril. And mine are on it because it also helps the kidneys. All
              my cats take this drug, even those with renal problems.

              Thankyou for pointing that out, Lee:)

              Lyn
            • elfinmyst
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 18, 2013
                HI

                My Josh has had CRF and HCM for 3 years now and takes 5mg benazepril daily
                for longer than that. His kidney values are stable at the last check and
                have been for several years. He also has 10mg lasix daily which was
                introduced a few months ago. So I`ll be keeping my eye on him. His appetite is
                varied, some days good , others not so, but he has hyperthyroid treatment as
                well.

                My other benaz cats are greedy hogs! They'll eat anything which is great
                for pilling:)

              • r schu
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 19, 2013
                  So Lyn,

                  You agree that benaz has stimulated appetite of your other cats? May gets 3mg lasix qd and 1.25 benaz, much lower than Josh.

                  What were Josh's kidney values before and after starting benaz? crea, bun, phos, k? If you have the data.

                  -Lee and May

                  ==========================
                  Re: Hello--I am new
                  Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:14 am (PDT) . Posted by:

                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 19, 2013
                    Hi Lee

                    I don't think benaz has stimulated the appetite because my cats are Selkirk
                    Rex and are the greediest cats ever:) My Maxi and Lexi are both over 8kg
                    and don't take benaz. All my cats have always been greedy and I didn't
                    notice it worse.

                    I don't have the data for Josh's results but he was in quite serious kidney
                    failure a few years ago. He'd stopped eating and was very unwell. After
                    fluids, he was better and is now moderate kidney failure and has had benaz
                    for at least four years. It helps his HCM and CRF.