RCM, pancreas problems and enalapril

  • laurelmmillersherman
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 23, 2002
      Hi, friends,

      To Martha and Hilary, Jake and Smer will be with you always. And my
      thoughts are with you, too.

      My girl, Selavy and I just got back from a recheck at the
      cardiologist and Sela got a good report! After her November
      diagnosis of non-specific cardio myopathy, daily enalapril, twice
      daily lasix and every 3 day asprin, her heart has reduced in size
      from a ventricular ratio of 1:9 to 1:6 (versus normal 1:3 or less).
      Sela's now down to the enalapril daily and the lasix once per day.
      We're keeping our fingers and toes crossed that she won't build up
      any more fluid and will continue to show progress and have that
      winning Sela attitude!

      The challenge now is her weight loss that has continued for the past
      18 months. Since November, she's down another 9 ounces in spite of
      eating well. Abdominal echos, TLI and thryoid tests are indicating
      some kind of pancreatic disease. My regular vet wants to do an
      exploratory. The cardiologist says that while Sela could likely
      handle the anesthesia, she recommends against the surgury unless it's
      a last and the only other alternative, because of her heart issues.

      Does anyone have any experience with pancreatic problems or know of
      any good resources that I should investigate? She's doing so well, I
      want to get treating the crux of the problem causing the weight loss
      while continuing to keep close watch on her heart.

      Oh, yes, I forgot to mention, for anyone else who's kitty is on
      enalapril, I found a great, incredibly inexpensive source for
      enalapril. It's petmed.com. Normally, the meds cost about $25 for
      30 2.5mg tablets. At petmed.com, they are offering 100 tabs for
      $6.16 plus shipping. An incredible savings!

      Thanks for the continued support to me, my girl and all the other
      kitties and their parents out there!

      Best,
      Laurel and Selavy