Enlarged heart, but asymptomatic?

  • s_l_toth
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 13, 2013
      Our 11 year old cat LiLi has asthma. We took her in for a chest x-ray and bloodwork. The vet noticed that her heart looked "plump", so we had an echo-cardiogram done. It was sent to a cardiologist for review - the findings were that while her heart looked larger on the x-ray, the echo-cardiogram indicated that her heart was functioning normally, so no meds at this time.

      I am of course very thankful that her heart is functioning normally. But I always thought that the reason a heart would become enlarged would be because it was not functioning normally. So if it is functioning normally, why is it larger than it should be?

      Any insight would be appreciated.

      Thanks so much!

      Sandy
    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 14, 2013
        Hi Sandy

        My boy had an enlarged heart as a kitten and no heart disease either. Maybe
        some cats are born with hearts larger than others? But you are right to be
        concerned, its good the echo found no problems though, the echo is the
        gold standard test. I hope someone else can answer this one, as apart from my
        kitten I`ve no experience.