Sub Q fluids and HCM Harley

  • Jean
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 13, 2013
      My cat, Harley, has both pancreatitis and the beginning stages of HCM - no medications for the HCM as yet. He is to have another echo in June. For the pancreatitis it has been suggested that he get sub-q fluids. Somewhere I thought I read that sub-q fluids should not be given to heart patients but I might be wrong.

      Jean
    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 14, 2013
        Hi Jean

        You can give fluids to cats with HCM but with great caution. Giving fluids
        can push them into heart failure. Pancreatitis is difficult to treat and
        the usual is steroids, but again they are unsuitable for cats with heart
        problems I would take the advice of the cardiologist and try and balance the
        two conditions.

        Wait until you cat is sleeping and count breaths (15 seconds and times by
        4) Find waht is the normal rate and what looks normal breathing. If, after
        fluids, the rate increases or there are other changes, you can act quickly.
        Over 30 minute is concern, over 40 emergency.