Severe restrictive cardiomyopathy

  • erin40
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 11, 2013
      Hi all, I am a new member and my precious oreo was diagnosed Friday with severe restrictive cardiomyopathy. I am having a very hard time accepting this diagnosis. When I took him in to get his ultrasound of his heart the cardiologists was extremely surprised that he had not already entered congestive heart failure. Right now we are trying to keep him from going into CHF and he is on five different medications. I was wondering if any of you have had cats with this diagnosis and if so how successful was treatment?
      My main concern right now is getting him to take his medications. I am so afraid that I wont be able to get them in him. I have had the pills compounded into a liquid and I have tried to hold him and put the medicine is his mouth but this simply does not work as he goes into a panic and becomes extremely stressed out and wont come to me for days. The past couple of days I have put the medicine in his wet food and so far that has been working but everyday its a worry that he wont eat it. Do any of you have any pointers or tips on how to give a cat multiple medications? Any information would be appreciated.

      Thanks, Erin and Oreo
    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 12, 2013
        Hello Erin

        I am sorry to hear of Oreo. It is absolutely right he should be on a
        cocktail of meds and these can keep of heart failure for a long time. My Trixi
        (apologies to those who have heard her story before:) ) was diagnosed at 3
        months old and given a few months to live. This August is her 7th birthday.
        She has recovered from a heart attack caused by a blood clot and CHF twice.
        Medications are definitely the key.

        Learn to count breaths. Wait until Oreo is sleeping and count for 15
        seconds then times by 4. Watch how he breathes, note the patterns and what is
        normal. Then you can tell if he is starting to develop heart failure. Upt to
        30 is normal, 30+ alarm and 40+ emergency . Changes like double breaths,
        hard pulling in of the tummy, all those are warning signs.

        It is normal to be struggling with the diagnosis. At first I was getting up
        in the night to Trixi. But as the weeks pass you become more used to it
        and realise they don't know they are sick and they pick up on stress.
        Medication becomesa daily part of life. If he eats it in food, great, I feed it in
        chicken, in paste, whatever is needed. Can you tell us what meds he is on?

        :) Lyn