Re: HCM cat- questions about safety of antihistamine, clavamox with Pla

  • Sarah Wadey
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 11, 2013
      Hi Rita,

      Rascasse has HCM and CRF. He has had cyproheptadine in the past as an appetite stimulant. It's an H1-receptor antihistamine. I know it can't be used with severe CHF, but think its fine for HCM.

      I'm afraid we haven't used chlorpheniramine but I think that it's also an H-1 receptor antihistamine used largely for pruritus and occasionally as a light sedative. I think it is contraindicated in cats with hypertension, hyperT or cardiovascular disease, so it seems a strange choice but maybe others know more.
      I think 2mg is a fairly standard dose but often twice daily.

      Hope that helps

      Sarah & Rascasse