RE: [FH] (unknown)

  • Jonathan Rosenberg
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 22, 2002
      I'm sorry to hear about Mocha's current condition.

      About a year and a half ago I did a lot of research into clots,
      after our old guy Lynx threw the first of 3 clots to his left
      rear leg. I have not kept up with the literature as well as I
      did them, but as far as I know, the following still holds true.

      There is no effective treatment for a clot that has already
      appeared. Researchers have tried surgery & "clot busting"
      medicine, but in both cases, the result was much worse than doing
      nothing & hoping that the cat's body would deal with the clot
      (which often happens).

      The best thing you can do for a cat that has thrown a clot is to
      treat the underlying heart disease (if there is any, which is
      usually the case). You are clearly doing this.

      As far as being proactive, it seems to me that this is premature
      & presumptive. First, there is no way to know if & when that
      clot will dislodge. Second, even if it does dislodge, there is
      no way to know where it will end up & how his body will treat it.
      It could very well end up in a rear leg (or someplace similar) &
      cause minimal difficultiees & allow for a quick & full recovery.
      Lynx recovered very well from all 3 clots.

      In a sense, it is a time bomb ... but, so is life.

      The only caveat I can think of to all of this, is that you really
      do need to keep a close eye on him for signs of trouble. When
      thrown, a clot can be very painful & you would want to get him
      prompt treatment.