Off Topic - Mom Hospitalized

  • zan200
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 10, 2013
      Hi Everyone,

      I hope it's OK to post this off topic message - it's been such a horribly stressful day...

      My 85+ year old mom collapsed out on our back patio this afternoon - we were sitting out there enjoying the warm, sunny day - Chloe was actually strolling around looking at the birds - when my mother got up from her chair, she fainted. Mom has a history of vasovagal syncope (fainting when her body is under stress) but I had no idea what brought this episode on....I tried to revive her, but she passed out yet again...911 call and the ambulance arrived.

      Mom's BP was way up, she felt sick to her stomach, etc. so on to the hospital...Chloe was due for her meds, so I had to wait and follow later...

      Dr's not sure what the problem is - they thought she might have pneumonia (no symptoms?) - but they did find her potassium level to be extremely low (she's on diuretics and heart meds. but is not on a potassium supplement - sounds familiar!) so they're treating her for that and loading her with antibiotics...I spoke to her on the phone this evening - she sounded a little stronger, so I'm praying all will be OK...

      I luckily have been able to get all of Chloe's meds/food/water in at the right times - I'm thinking of calling the vet tomorrow before I head over to the hospital to see if I can postpone starting Chloe on her Vetmedin - I'm afraid of introducing a new med if I'm not sure if I'll have to be away from home soon after...

      One funny moment - when the ambulance and rescue crew arrived they saw Chloe's pill organizer and syringes - and thought they were Mom's - I explained about Chloe, her heart condition, etc. I was then asked if I was a vet! No, just an ordinary person...

      Again, many thanks for all your help and support with Chloe - if you could include my mother in your prayers it would be greatly, greatly appreciated...

      Suzanne and Chloe
    • karenborga@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 10, 2013
        Suzanne,
        You are so much more than "an ordinary person"
        :-)

        Chloe and your Mom really appreciate everything you are doing.

        Prayers going out for you, your Mom and Chloe.

        Karen

        ****

        ..One funny moment - when the ambulance and rescue crew arrived they saw Chloe's pill organizer and syringes - and thought they were Mom's - I explained about Chloe, her heart condition, etc. I was then asked if I was a vet! No, just an ordinary person...

        Again, many thanks for all your help and support with Chloe - if you could include my mother in your prayers it would be greatly, greatly appreciated...

        Suzanne and Chloe

        Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile
      • Jordan
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 11, 2013
          Suzanne,

          You are a ROCK STAR!! Your Mom and Chloe are both very lucky to have you. Keep ALL your family, 2 legged and 4 legged in our paw prayers tonight,

          Love and kitty kisses,
          Jordan and Sheba