Re: [FH] Bob-just diagnosed 3 weeks ago with left-side cardiomyopathy

  • Laurie Stead
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 9, 2013
      Hi Judy,

      I know it's scary but hang in there. It does get easier once your boy stabilizes.

      Has an ultrasound been done?  Bob needs to see a cardiologist to have the best chance.  A vet is not knowledgeable enough to prescribe the best treatment for heart disease.
      Sounds like he will need a change in his lasix dose and other heart meds added.

      Laurie

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 11, 2013
        Hi

        Bob needs to see a cardiologist urgently for a heart ultrasound. A
        cardiologist would be able to see exactly what is wrong with the heart and provide
        the correct medication. He may need more drugs such as vetmedin or
        atenolol. Lasix lasts for about 8 hours, so once a day wouldn't be controlling his
        fluids. He may need a second diuretic.

        I would ask for an immediate appointment as an emergency referral to the
        cardiologist.