Re: Lasix Efficacy

  • zan200
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 8, 2013
      Hi,

      I think every cat reacts differently to different drugs so it's just a matter of finding the best combination for your kitty's specific heart problem. My 19 year old Burmese, Chloe was diagnosed with severe HCM in Novmember and continually needs to have her Lasix dose increased due to fluid buildup, so I can understand what your kitty is going through.

      Chloe was initially prescribed 6.25mgs. of Lasix 2X per day, and is now on 12.5mgs. AM/PM with an additional 6.25 in the afternoon. My vet also added spironolactone, another diuretic to help with fluid - the "spiro" dose was also doubled as Chloe continues to have "scary" problems with fluid.

      I can't comment on benazapril, but Chloe also takes enalapril.

      I'm sure the great folks here on the Forum can help - how much Lasix is your kitty taking at the present time, and how much was the dosage increased?

      Take Care,
      Suzanne and Chloe

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "devastated_please_help" <hello.anonymous777@...> wrote:

      > Hi my 12yo cat has moderate cardiomyopathy. He is on Benazapril and Lasix. He was fine for a month or 2 on them but now he has fluid in his lungs again. How quickly do kitties build tolerance to these drugs?
      > Thanks.

    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 10, 2013
        Hi

        It's not that they get used to lasix, but the heart condition progressing.
        That's when the dose can be increased and addition of spironolactone as a
        second diuretic. Usually another heart medication would be added as well to
        help the failing heart. I wonder contact the cardiologist and ask about
        increasing or adding more drugs. My Milli started on fortekor and spiro, then
        they added vetmedin, then atentolol, plavix and lasix. She is currently
        stable so it's quite common to need to change or add to the drugs.