Update on Daphne

  • catmomcolumbus
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 8, 2013
      Hi, All.

      I should have posted this a few days ago, but the week got away from me.

      I took Daphne in for her cardiology follow-up on Monday. She freaked me out on the way there because she started breathing through her mouth again, but all was okay once we actually arrived at the hospital. (About a 15 minute drive.)

      She had X-rays, bloodwork, a quick ultrasound and a blood pressure check. Her cardiologist came into the exam room to talk to me and said it all looked perfect. The murmur that had been there was gone. There was no fluid at all around her heart or lungs. Her blood pressure was back up to 120 (it had been 80 when she left the hospital). The vet's conclusion? She actually *was* taurine deficient. There's no other good explanation that she would make such a significant improvement in a week. She asked me if Daphne had been eating a hypoallergenic food, by any chance. My jaw dropped. She had, because one of my other cats has inflammatory bowel disease. It turns out that rarely, in some cats, hypoallergenic food seems to cause taurine deficiency. And in some cats, that deficiency can cause DCM. Daphne appears to be one of those cats. I've now found a regular commercial cat food that seems to agree with all of them.

      So the miracle is that Daphne seems likely to make a full recovery. I started sobbing as soon as she told me this. It will take a few months to get everything back to where it should be, but she should be able to come off her heart meds at some point in the next six months or so. She added an ACE inhibitor to her pile of pills, and we have to go back for another recheck in two weeks. I've added pumpkin to her mix of food to stave off the constipation that seemed to be causing her to not want to eat. Otherwise, she's back to her old self. You would never know that two weeks ago, she almost died. I just can't believe it.

      I want to thank all of you again for giving me hope in the midst of my despair. I'm so grateful to have bought more time with my sweet girl.

      --Stacy and Daphne
    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 8, 2013
        Hi Stacy

        That is wonderful!! I cried when I read this, we so rarely get great news
        here. The DCM has reversed and now she is back to normal. You couldn't ask
        for more.

        Lyn:)

      • catmomcolumbus
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 8, 2013
          Aw, I'm glad I could give you some happy tears! I got the sense that the cardiologist felt the same way. She doesn't often get to go from "your cat is going to die in weeks" to "your cat is going to be okay."
        • marianna.mayer
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 8, 2013
            What wonderful news! It's not often we receive a message telling us about such a incredible turn around.
            I think your post reminds us all that adding additional taurine to our cats meals is a good idea. I add 500 mg x daily for my cats, and even more than that for my dogs.

            Marianna

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 8, 2013
              Wonderful News, Stacy!

              Joining in with happy tears of joy on hearing of Daphne's amazing recovery! Daphne is definitely a miracle kitty...
              Suzanne and Chloe =^-.-^=
            • Laurie Stead
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 8, 2013
                That is absolutely wonderful news!  This is precisely why we cannot listen to those early "weeks to live" diagnoses :-)

                Curious
                if the cardiologist actually ran the blood test for Taurine levels?
                This was done for Boo when she was diagnosed with DCM to be sure it
                wasn't due to a Taurine deficiency.  So the follow-up ultrasound now showed a normal heart size?

                Laurie

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 8, 2013
                  I had the option to do the taurine blood test but elected not to, since a) we were going to supplement taurine regardless, b) it would take three weeks to get the results back and they were telling me that she wouldn't live that long, and c) they felt that it wasn't likely, since she had been eating cat food, not table food. It seemed like $150 more dollars just to check an unlikely box off the list.

                  She hasn't had a full-on follow-up ultrasound yet, just a quick one to look for fluid and the murmur, neither of which are there anymore. I imagine we'll be doing another echo at some point.

                  --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Laurie Stead <kittykatwhiskas@...> wrote:

                  > That is absolutely wonderful news!  This is precisely why we cannot listen to those early "weeks to live" diagnoses :-)
                  >
                  > Curious
                  > if the cardiologist actually ran the blood test for Taurine levels?
                  > This was done for Boo when she was diagnosed with DCM to be sure it
                  > wasn't due to a Taurine deficiency.  So the follow-up ultrasound now showed a normal heart size?
                  >
                  > Laurie

                • Karen
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 4, 2013
                    I cannot tell you how much I appreciate reading this, even a month later. My Mr. Bob was dx with DCM a week ago, and we've since put him on 1000mg of taurine and hoping. He goes back to the vet tomorrow for an EKG. I'm hopeful that his visit will give us some positive news.

                    Karen