Re: [FH] Blood Results Back - Worried.

  • elfinmyst
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 5, 2013
      Hello

      Try and not worry, its a balancing act with kidneys and heart. The kidney
      values should return to normal if lasix is reduced. The low potassium is
      urgent and I would ask the cardiologist for a potassium supplement like
      kaminox. Low potassium can cause problems.

      Reduce the lasix and see what happens. It may be the other heart
      medicaitons are working now and not as large a dose is needed. My Trixi needed the
      huge dose for a week and then reduced as her fortekor and vetmedin started
      to work.

      If necessary they can add spironolactone, a diuretic which doesn't damage
      the kidneys as much. Give the reduced lasix and watch for any signs of
      increasing breathing or changes in the breathing like double intake breaths,
      pulling in his stomach.. sitting up in meatloaf position.

      A lot here balance this issue, I`m sure they'll give excellent advice to
      help too.

    • zan200
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 5, 2013
        Hi,

        Chloe was in Stage II kidney disease when she was diagnosed with HCM/heart failure in November and has needed a steady increase in her Lasix dose to keep down her constant fluid buildup - she's now on 12.5 2X per day along with another 6.25 mid-afternoon - along with enalapril and spironolactone 2X per day.

        Chloe's kidney value's consistently went up until I started syringe feeding her food and water. My vet said the extra water not only has prevented Chloe from becomming dehydrated, but has actually lowered her creatinine levels back to an acceptable level.

        Chloe did not do well on Sub-Q fluids as the fluid went right into her chest and was not absorbed into the tissues - so syringing fluids helped avoid the Sub-Q's.

        This being said, Chloe is still building up fluid, and due to the increase in Lasix may need a Potassium supplement in the future - but as far as the kidneys are concerned, the supplemental fluids have definitely helped. I syringe 9mls of fluid 3X per day - 27 mls.total.

        If your kitty's Lasix is reduced, keep an eye out for an increase in respiration rate or other symptoms of distress - you can always give an emergency dose of Lasix and contact your vet to again adjust the dosage.

        Hope this helps,
        Take Care,
        Suzanne and Chloe
      • binarina1
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 6, 2013
          Hello Lyn,

          Thanks. The vet mentioned a supplement but I don't think it's going to be given just yet. I think he just wants me to focus on the frusemide first. See how much of an impact that has. We don't see the cardiologist, she's mobile and only saw him when he was at a&e. I've emailed her a couple of times since. But it's been a while, and I don't feel I can email again. Maybe it's time I had her see him again.

          I think spironalactone is prilactone? If so, he already has it. I give that in the evening with fortekor. But now I'm wondering if I should give in at another time. He has frusemide and cardisure in the morning and night.

          Thanks again,,Sara.

          > Hello
          >
          > Try and not worry, its a balancing act with kidneys and heart. The kidney
          > values should return to normal if lasix is reduced. The low potassium is
          > urgent and I would ask the cardiologist for a potassium supplement like
          > kaminox. Low potassium can cause problems.
          >
          > Reduce the lasix and see what happens. It may be the other heart
          > medicaitons are working now and not as large a dose is needed. My Trixi needed the
          > huge dose for a week and then reduced as her fortekor and vetmedin started
          > to work.
          >
          > If necessary they can add spironolactone, a diuretic which doesn't damage
          > the kidneys as much. Give the reduced lasix and watch for any signs of
          > increasing breathing or changes in the breathing like double intake breaths,
          > pulling in his stomach.. sitting up in meatloaf position.
          >
          > A lot here balance this issue, I`m sure they'll give excellent advice to
          > help too.
          >
          > Lyn

        • binarina1
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 6, 2013
            Hello Suzanne.

            You're doing wonders with your cat, I've read your messages and she's a very lucky kitty to have you.

            He drinks a lot. I don't think dehydration is an issue. He won't eat canned food though, has never been interested in it, only dry, which is a worry. He has a fountain and he's always at it. He does seem to be weeing a bit more though.

            I'll give an emergency dose if needed, although I'm not sure how much. I'm to ring the vet tomorrow, and another of my cats is going in as well, so I'll be able to get sme clarification.

            I'm giving the first reduced dose at 12pm so fingers crossed.

            Thanks, Sara.

            --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "zan200" <zan200@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > Chloe was in Stage II kidney disease when she was diagnosed with HCM/heart failure in November and has needed a steady increase in her Lasix dose to keep down her constant fluid buildup - she's now on 12.5 2X per day along with another 6.25 mid-afternoon - along with enalapril and spironolactone 2X per day.
            >
            > Chloe's kidney value's consistently went up until I started syringe feeding her food and water. My vet said the extra water not only has prevented Chloe from becomming dehydrated, but has actually lowered her creatinine levels back to an acceptable level.
            >
            > Chloe did not do well on Sub-Q fluids as the fluid went right into her chest and was not absorbed into the tissues - so syringing fluids helped avoid the Sub-Q's.
            >
            > This being said, Chloe is still building up fluid, and due to the increase in Lasix may need a Potassium supplement in the future - but as far as the kidneys are concerned, the supplemental fluids have definitely helped. I syringe 9mls of fluid 3X per day - 27 mls.total.
            >
            > If your kitty's Lasix is reduced, keep an eye out for an increase in respiration rate or other symptoms of distress - you can always give an emergency dose of Lasix and contact your vet to again adjust the dosage.
            >
            > Hope this helps,
            > Take Care,
            > Suzanne and Chloe

          • elfinmyst
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 6, 2013
              Hi Sara

              Yes, prilactone is the same as spironolactone and cardisure is the same as
              vetmedin, so it sounds as if he is on a good range of heart drugs. I would
              ask if it is possible to give the prilactone twice a day and possible
              increase the fortekor although it depends waht dose he is on. My three take 5 mg
              per day altogether.

              Hopefully the heart drugs have helped enough that he will cope with the
              decrease in lasix

              Lyn.

            • binarina1
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 6, 2013
                Thanks Lyn.

                He has 10 mg twice a day of frusemide (from today) 10mg prilactone once a day. 2.5mg fortekor once a day. 1/4 tablet of clopidogrel everyday and a quarter of a 75mg asprin twice a week.

                He had his first half dose four hours ago and he seems ok. Although I don't know if it's too soon to tell anything.

                Sara.