Secondary HCM

  • marina
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 5, 2013
      Hello Everyone,

      Quick question.

      I was informed yesterday by one of Italy's top vet cardiologists who reviewed my Kitty's 2nd heart ultrasound ( he has not seen her but has consulted with my vet here in Florence) that it appears to him that her HCM is secondary. What does this mean? He said it could have been hypertension or kidney issues ( even though her blood tests were normal). So just wondering what it could be secondary to and does that mean it's not as severe? He was rushed and quite short on the phone so didnt have a chance to ask many questions and he did a review as a favour to a friend in the US. He is too far away for me to take Kitty to her so just thought I would ask.

      Her next check up is not scheduled until 4 months from now if all remains ok up until that time.

      Thanks so much for any insight you can provide.

      Ciao from Florence,
      Kitty and Marina
    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 5, 2013
        Hi

        Secondary HCM means there is an underlying condition causing it and if the
        condition is treated, the HCM reverses. It can be caused by anaemia,
        hyperthyroid for example or lack of taurine in DCM.
        Primary HCM is heart disease with no other cause and is often genetic. But
        the good news is secondary can be reversed usually.

        _Lyn_ (http://www.myfurkids.co.uk)

        www.myfurkids.co.uk

      • Ana Gutierrez
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 5, 2013
          For example, Punky's HCM is secondary and it is caused by the defect in the
          septum valve, as well as his defect in the valve that pumps to lungs
          (pulmonary stenosis).

          :(

          Ana
          El 05/03/2013 05:12, <elfinmyst@...> escribi�: