Re: Furosemide

  • zan200
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 4, 2013
      Hi June and Daisy,

      My Burmese, Chloe weighs about 6.3 pounds and receives 12.5 mgs. of furosimide (Lasix) 2X per day AM/PM with a 6.25 dose in the afternoon. My vet never mentioned any problems with food interacting with this drug.

      Chloe does take other heart meds (enalapril and "spiro") that specifically mention giving with food to prevent stomach upset, so all her meds are usually given right before or after eating (Chloe is for the most part, syringe fed).

      I would be interested to know if Lasix does indeed work better without food...

      Suzanne and Chloe
    • hoofbeats95
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 4, 2013
        Sophie gets 20 mg twice a day. Her smallest does was 6.25 mg (half of a 12.5 mg pill) twice a day. can you even get a .5 mg dose?
      • Joanne Haeussinger
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 4, 2013
          Hello there :)
          My little Twix gets 6.75mg three times a day. We get the 20 mg pills (human dose) and cut them into thirds. We have a pharmacy grade scale that measures out to insanely small increments, so we can be sure it's exactly a third of the tablet. Hope that helps.
          Joanne, Twix, Tigger and Tagg
        • Ana Gutierrez
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 4, 2013
            Hi all,

            I am giving Punky his furosemide with food too.
            I only found this research:
            http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2042717/pdf/bcp_0494.pdf

            they conclude that "Breakfast significantly reduced the peak plasma
            concentration of frusemide .... and delayed the time to peak concentration
            ..... The oral bioavailability of frusemide was significantly reduced by
            approximately 30% ..."

            So maybe we shouldn't be giving it with food. Punky (and Chuntaro, yes we
            rescued another cat with heart murmur) will
            have their echos done tomorrow, so I'll ask the cardiologist.

            Best,

            Ana

            On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 5:27 PM, Joanne Haeussinger <chmiss01@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Hello there :)
            > My little Twix gets 6.75mg three times a day. We get the 20 mg pills
            > (human dose) and cut them into thirds. We have a pharmacy grade scale that
            > measures out to insanely small increments, so we can be sure it's exactly a
            > third of the tablet. Hope that helps.
            > Joanne, Twix, Tigger and Tagg

          • r schu
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 4, 2013
              Hi June and Daisy,

              May has been prescribed 1/4 of a 12.5 lasix so about 3.1mg per day, once a day, she weighs 9.7 lbs now.

              Your Daisy is getting 1mg total per day. So lb for lb it looks like May is getting a bit more, but not much.

              I'm not sure if 3.1 is a normal maintenence dose or not.

              -Lee and May
              Mon Mar 4, 2013 7:22 am (PST) . Posted by:
              "June Jeffrey" smudgeypaws@...
              Hello,

              Daisy has been prescribed 0.5mg of furosemide x 2 daily after developing ascities. She is 5lb 15 ozs.

              I wondered what doseage has been prescribed for other listmembers kitties and if anyone can advise how the doseage is calculated?

              Also, have read it should be given either two hours after or one hour before food, but vet did not give any instructions regarding this. Can anyone advise regarding this (have been giving two hours after food as understand this increases effect)?

              Many thanks and best wishes,

              June and Daisy.