Re: Furosemide

  • tourtaney
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 4, 2013
      June & Daisy,

      I would like to hear what everyone else has to say about this as well. I have been giving Maggie her furosemide with food because her pill schedule falls right around the time she is begging for food. I was never given instructions whether the pill should or should not be given with food.

      Courtney & Maggie
    • binarina1
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 4, 2013
        I withhold food for 2.5 hrs before and 1hr after. But ONLY because I give cardisure at the same time. I've never been told anything about food and frusemide.

        My cat is on 20mg twice a day for HCM. He's 11lbs.
      • Laurie Stead
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 4, 2013
          Boo receives 6.25mg in the AM with her other pills, with access to food. I have never been instructed to avoid food before or after any of her pills.

          Laurie

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 4, 2013
            Hi June,

            My 5.2 pound cat was originally prescribed 5 mg (not 5/10 as you have
            listed) twice a day. Her ascites was completely resolved in about 10 days.
            We are going to try alternating days of 5 mg twice a day, and then 5 mg once
            per day to see if she can stay on a lower dose. If that doesn't work for her
            we'll g back to 5 mg twice a day.

            The cardiologist said that furosamide, benazapril, and aspirin can be given
            with food, but that Pimobendan is best given 1 hour before eating. He also
            said that the furosamide can sometimes depress appetite, so I hope a lower
            dose will work as Esther is not eating as well as usual.

            Mary Sue

            Daisy has been prescribed 0.5mg of furosemide x 2 daily after developing
            ascities. She is 5lb 15 ozs.

            Also, have read it should be given either two hours after or one hour before
            food

            June and Daisy.

          • elfinmyst
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 4, 2013
              Hi June

              Are you sure it's not 5mg? Mine receive 5mg twice a day but at their worst
              heart failure had 5mg every 4 hours.

            • zan200
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 4, 2013
                Hi June and Daisy,

                My Burmese, Chloe weighs about 6.3 pounds and receives 12.5 mgs. of furosimide (Lasix) 2X per day AM/PM with a 6.25 dose in the afternoon. My vet never mentioned any problems with food interacting with this drug.

                Chloe does take other heart meds (enalapril and "spiro") that specifically mention giving with food to prevent stomach upset, so all her meds are usually given right before or after eating (Chloe is for the most part, syringe fed).

                I would be interested to know if Lasix does indeed work better without food...

                Suzanne and Chloe
              • hoofbeats95
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 4, 2013
                  Sophie gets 20 mg twice a day. Her smallest does was 6.25 mg (half of a 12.5 mg pill) twice a day. can you even get a .5 mg dose?
                • Joanne Haeussinger
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 4, 2013
                    Hello there :)
                    My little Twix gets 6.75mg three times a day. We get the 20 mg pills (human dose) and cut them into thirds. We have a pharmacy grade scale that measures out to insanely small increments, so we can be sure it's exactly a third of the tablet. Hope that helps.
                    Joanne, Twix, Tigger and Tagg
                  • Ana Gutierrez
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 4, 2013
                      Hi all,

                      I am giving Punky his furosemide with food too.
                      I only found this research:
                      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2042717/pdf/bcp_0494.pdf

                      they conclude that "Breakfast significantly reduced the peak plasma
                      concentration of frusemide .... and delayed the time to peak concentration
                      ..... The oral bioavailability of frusemide was significantly reduced by
                      approximately 30% ..."

                      So maybe we shouldn't be giving it with food. Punky (and Chuntaro, yes we
                      rescued another cat with heart murmur) will
                      have their echos done tomorrow, so I'll ask the cardiologist.

                      Best,

                      Ana

                      On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 5:27 PM, Joanne Haeussinger <chmiss01@...> wrote:

                      > **
                      >

                      > Hello there :)
                      > My little Twix gets 6.75mg three times a day. We get the 20 mg pills
                      > (human dose) and cut them into thirds. We have a pharmacy grade scale that
                      > measures out to insanely small increments, so we can be sure it's exactly a
                      > third of the tablet. Hope that helps.
                      > Joanne, Twix, Tigger and Tagg

                    • r schu
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 4, 2013
                        Hi June and Daisy,

                        May has been prescribed 1/4 of a 12.5 lasix so about 3.1mg per day, once a day, she weighs 9.7 lbs now.

                        Your Daisy is getting 1mg total per day. So lb for lb it looks like May is getting a bit more, but not much.

                        I'm not sure if 3.1 is a normal maintenence dose or not.

                        -Lee and May
                        Mon Mar 4, 2013 7:22 am (PST) . Posted by:
                        "June Jeffrey" smudgeypaws@...