Heart failure and breathing problems

  • tourtaney
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2, 2013
      Hi Group,

      Can those of you with experience please let me know your situations.. Did/does your cathave breathing problems due to the heart failure. Rapid breathing, heavy breathing,etc. Since being diagnosed (even after fluid were drained from her chest cavity) my Maggie's BPM have never dropped below 60 bpm. Sometimes average around 72. She eats, drinks and sleeps but I can tell she's getting worse. I'm getting my hands on some vetmedin tomorrow and she's already on lasix and benazepril... I also gave her 1/4 aspirin today until I can pick up her Plavix....

      Thanks,
      Courtney & Maggie
    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2, 2013
        Hi Courtney

        My cats have never breathed anything like that. Topsy has been 40bpm since
        a kitten and has always done that, even with no heart disease diagnosed by
        ultrasound. It's just her. That sounds very fast and concerning. I hope the
        vetmedin works quickly for you. Can you remind me how much lasix she
        takes?

      • zan200
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 2, 2013
          Hi Courtney,

          My Chloe was diagnosed with HCM/enlarged heart/heart failure in Novmeber. Chloe's first symptoms were rapid breathing and deeper breathing - you could actually see Chloe's head move along with both her "in and out" breaths.

          When Chloe was diagnosed (it took 3 visits before the vet figured out what was going on) she would periodically cough (sounded like a hairball-type cough) especially if she was picked up, as this position was compressing her fluid-filled chest. Chloe was immediately given Lasix by injection to reduce the fluid buildup.

          Every time Chloe goes into crisis she experiences the same rapid/deep breathing episodes indicating she's filling up with fluid - again, vet immediately administers Lasix by injection.

          By BPM do you mean breaths per minute - the respiration rate? If so, it sounds like you have an emergency on your hands - at 60+ I think Maggie needs to get to an emergency clinic - or can you contact your vet?

          Take Care,
          I'll be praying for you and Maggie,
          Suzanne and Chloe

          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "tourtaney" <tourtney17@...> wrote:

          > Hi Group,
          >
          > Can those of you with experience please let me know your situations.. Did/does your cathave breathing problems due to the heart failure. Rapid breathing, heavy breathing,etc. Since being diagnosed (even after fluid were drained from her chest cavity) my Maggie's BPM have never dropped below 60 bpm. Sometimes average around 72. She eats, drinks and sleeps but I can tell she's getting worse. I'm getting my hands on some vetmedin tomorrow and she's already on lasix and benazepril... I also gave her 1/4 aspirin today until I can pick up her Plavix....
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Courtney & Maggie

        • tourtaney
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 2, 2013
            Lyn,

            Maggie is getting (1) 12.5mb tablet twice/daily. However, last Wednesday, I started giving her an additional half tablet in between the the full doses..

            An xray 2 weeks ago did show fluid starting to build again in her chest cavity but not near the 100ml that was drained after her echo...

            She has been stable at the 60 BPM for the past couple of months but I know she's starting to worsen with the fluids rebuilding again.

            I'm hoping the Vetmedin can help the heart and therefore, stop the fluids from 'leaking' into the cavity if the heart is pumping easier.

            I'm assuming that's how it works anyways..

            -Courtney & Maggie