Re: introduction to Esther

  • elfinmyst
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 2, 2013
      Hi Mary Sue

      I`m so glad she eventually saw a cardiologist and her medications are
      obviously keeping her heart disease from progressing. Another medication a lot
      of us use is CoQ which is a food supplement to help the heart at 30mg a day.
      Mine have taken it for up to 6 years now with their various medications.
      Vetmedin is a miracle drug in my opinion too, it saved Trixi after a heart
      attack.

      Don't worry about the prognosis. Trixi was given a few months at 12 weeks
      old. She is seven years this year. Milli was given 2 years as a kitten and
      is also 7 years old this June. With medication, the disease can be
      stabilised. It's great she is enjoying life now.

      My Trixi was given both aspirin and plavix after her heart attack caused by
      a clot. But she couldn't tolerate aspirin and takes only plavix now.

      Count Esther's breaths.. learn the pattern and the normal rate per
      minute. (Count 15 secs * 4) Up to 30 normal, 30+ time to worry and 40+
      emergency. Important thing is a change.. count them when he is sleeping but not
      dreaming:)

    • Mary Sue Rubin
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 2, 2013
        Hi Lyn,

        I will definitely ask the cardiologist about Plavix. I've heard of CoQ10
        also and will look into starting it.

        I have been counting Esther's respiration, maybe a little obsessively. I do
        it once a day, at night, while I am reading and she is resting/sleeping in
        my lap. It is consistently between 19 and 21. It was more than 30 before she
        started her medication. I don't know what her normal was prior to that.

        Thanks for the feedback.

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 4, 2013
          hi there, I see you guys talking about fiber=canned plain pumpkin works wonders. works better than miralax. i give it to all 3 of my cats=2 of them lick it off my finger=the third i use a small syringe and add water to make very thick pudding like=and give 1/2ml daily. or i give each cat 1 tsp every other day. i find if i do this daily it gets too loose so for now every other day works. also when looking at dry food there are some that come higher content in fiber=so i try to stick to nongrain type food but sometimes i have to mix it with cheap meowmix 30 % to give it smell because the higher end foods dont smell as much...this seems to work well. 70% food is highend and alittle snacktype mixed in keeps them from getting finicky. i tried to ween off cheap food but at this point the vet says get them eating rather than starve them...so this mix i have used for about 6 months now...but try the canned pumpkin but make sure it has nothing else in it...you only need about 1/2 cup for a week so you end up tossing the rest..i will snack on some of it or bake with left overs..muffins or such..hope this helps=i know pumpkin is very nutrisious for them!
          honeybee and tonda

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 4, 2013
            hi there, i dont know if my other message made it through=try giving kitty a few licks of canned pumpkin daily. this will take about 2 days to work...but dont give over 1 tsp daily or it goes the other way..hope this helps! my cats like it..took em abit but they lick it off my finger and wont eat it out of a dish..whatever..just wash my hands then feed em..LOL

            bounding time with my furbabies

            Tonda in NH, floey honeybee and pumpkin face ^--^

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 4, 2013
              Thanks Tonda. Your original message did go through. I know about pumpkin and I’ll give it a try if needed. At the moment Esther is fine. I’ve been giving her a little beef each day, which usually causes soft stool, but now makes her stool normal. Her straining isn’t an everyday thing so I think I will try food remedies for as long as they work and avoid the Miralax for now.

              Mary Sue