Re: Vetmedin & Plavix forRCM

  • binarina1
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 2, 2013
      Hi Laurie,

      All I know is that I rang for a repeat for a repeat for vetmedin, went to pick it up and it was cardisure. It looks exactly the same, the instructions are the same, I haven't checked the ingredients, but can do if you would like. They are both pimobendan, so I think it must just be brand names.

      It's the same size.

      Hope that helps, Sara.

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Laurie Stead <kittykatwhiskas@...> wrote:

      > I asked the cardiologist recently about switching to cardisure but they have never prescribed it for cats and had no information on it.  So I did not feel good about making the change.  My understanding is that it's the exact same ingredients, is that correct?  Can you tell me if it is similar in size to the vetmedin?  My other concern is that it would be even larger than the current vetmedin which makes my decision about switching easier ;-)
      >
      > Thanks!
      > Laurie
      >

      > ________________________________

    • Laurie Stead
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 2, 2013
        It does help, Sara, thank you!  Now I find it really odd Cornell didn't know about it...

        ________________________________

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Laurie Stead wrote:

        > I asked the cardiologist recently about switching to cardisure but they have never prescribed it for cats and had no information on it.  So I did not feel good about making the change.  My understanding is that it's the exact same ingredients, is that correct?  Can you tell me if it is similar in size to the vetmedin?  My other concern is that it would be even larger than the current vetmedin which makes my decision about switching easier ;-)
        >
        > Thanks!
        > Laurie
        >

        > ________________________________

      • elfinmyst
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 2, 2013
          Hi

          Clopidogrel is generic plavix.
          Cardisure is exactly the same as Vetmedin. My cats switched last month as
          it's cheaper.

          :)Lyn

        • Mary Sue Rubin
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 2, 2013
            I think cardisure is in the UK and Vetmedin is in the US. Is that correct? They seem to be the same drug. The Vetmedin is off label for cats in the US. I was given the 1.25 mg to cut in half. The first time I gave it to Esther she chewed it, but not again. I cut the half in half and use Pill Pockets. Luckily, she has been taking her meds that way. If she stops, I will put everything into one capsule and give it to her with a pill gun. The cardiologist said it was okay to use Pill Pockets. I was concerned about the sodium content.

            Regarding an earlier question about giving Vetmedin with or without food, my cardiologist did not specify. I have read that giving it without food allows it to start working more quickly, but giving it with food does not change the bioavailability, just the speed with which it starts working.

            Mary Sue

            --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com <mailto:feline-heart%40yahoogroups.com> , Laurie Stead wrote:

            > I asked the cardiologist recently about switching to cardisure but they have never prescribed it for cats and had no information on it. So I did not feel good about making the change. My understanding is that it's the exact same ingredients, is that correct? Can you tell me if it is similar in size to the vetmedin? My other concern is that it would be even larger than the current vetmedin which makes my decision about switching easier ;-)
            >
            > Thanks!
            > Laurie
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Laurie Stead
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 2, 2013
              I remember, Lyn, as you are the person who made me aware of Cardisure :-)  I had spoken to the cardiologist and she was weary in trying it, had no experience with it.  So just today when another member mentioned it, I wanted to make sure it was the same size... I am going to make that switch when it's time for a refill.

              Thanks!
              Laurie

              ________________________________
              Cardisure is exactly the same as Vetmedin. My cats switched last month as
              it's cheaper.

              :)Lyn

              .

            • Laurie Stead
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 2, 2013
                I use pill pockets too and had the same worry about the sodium. The cardiologist told me it was fine since it's such a minimal amount and the fact it allows it to be a stress-free process is helping her more than hurting her.  I only use 1/2 pill pocket per pill as I found using the entire thing was unnecessary, they are pretty big.

                ________________________________
                I think cardisure is in the UK and Vetmedin is in the US. Is that correct? They seem to be the same drug. The Vetmedin is off label for cats in the US. I was given the 1.25 mg to cut in half. The first time I gave it to Esther she chewed it, but not again. I cut the half in half and use Pill Pockets. Luckily, she has been taking her meds that way. If she stops, I will put everything into one capsule and give it to her with a pill gun. The cardiologist said it was okay to use Pill Pockets. I was concerned about the sodium content.

                Regarding an earlier question about giving Vetmedin with or without food, my cardiologist did not specify. I have read that giving it without food allows it to start working more quickly, but giving it with food does not change the bioavailability, just the speed with which it starts working.

                Mary Sue

                It does help, Sara, thank you! Now I find it really odd Cornell didn't know about it...

                ________________________________
                All I know is that I rang for a repeat for a repeat for vetmedin, went to pick it up and it was cardisure. It looks exactly the same, the instructions are the same, I haven't checked the ingredients, but can do if you would like. They are both pimobendan, so I think it must just be brand names.

                It's the same size.

                Hope that helps, Sara.

                --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com , Laurie Stead wrote:

                > I asked the cardiologist recently about switching to cardisure but they have never prescribed it for cats and had no information on it. So I did not feel good about making the change. My understanding is that it's the exact same ingredients, is that correct? Can you tell me if it is similar in size to the vetmedin? My other concern is that it would be even larger than the current vetmedin which makes my decision about switching easier ;-)
                >
                > Thanks!
                > Laurie

              • Jordan Salim
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 2, 2013
                  Hi Laurie,

                  I get the Plavix generic at my local Costco for only $8!!! I called around when I got the prescription and they had the best price.

                  Jordan and Sheba

                  Sent from my iPad