Re: Vetmedin & Plavix forRCM

  • binarina1
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 2, 2013
      I should probably add that's its the 1.25mg I halve not the 5mg one!

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "binarina1" <binarina@...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > My cat is on 1.25 mg twice a day, I just halve them, not had to quarter them, he has no problems with their size. I'm using cardisure now which is exactly the same but cheaper I believe.
      >
      > I have been told by two vets that they must be given on an empty stomach and then food must be withheld for an hour afterwards. I know others on here have been told differently, and I did find some research to say that once a cat is stable food isn't as much of an issue. But, the bioavailability of the drug is apparently reduced with food, so I'm sticking to what my vet told me.
      >
      > My cat is struggling with this method as he gets excess stomach acid when he hasn't eaten for a few hours. But he has quite advanced HCM so I'm frightened to change things.
      >
      > I give frusemide and cardisure together AM and PM twelve hours apart. Then fortekor and prilactone together in the evening. And asprin and plavix mid afternoon with around an hour between them (Plavix everyday, asprin twice a week). I don't know if that's a good way to give them or not, just how I do it.
      >
      > Hope that helps.
      >

      > --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "tourtaney" <tourtney17@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Group,
      > >
      > > Well, I just got off the phone with my vet and she's calling in the Plavix and doing some research on the Vetmedin. They only have 5mg tablets which she said are huge. For those of you currently using Vetmedin for your cats, are they on 1.25mg? Are they large pills? Vetmedin is supposed to be given 1 hour before eating. How do you administer to your cats? What about those on multiple pills?
      > >
      > > Thanks for the help! I'm really hoping for a miracle (even if I know that's what it'll take). My girl still has a good quality of life and I want to keep it that way.
      > >
      > > Courtney & Maggie

    • Laurie Stead
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 2, 2013
        The 5mg vetmedin chew tab is for dogs.  They make the 1.25mg chew tab for cats... my pharmacy made a mistake once filling the script with the dog ones... I knew immediately as the size is HUGE.  It actually made the 1.25mg tab look small!

        There has been some recent exchange on how to administer the pill, with or without food.  Seems some members have been instructed to withhold food, while others like myself were never told to do that.  I have always given Boo all her morning pills together, at the same time with pill pockets.  Of course I would go by what your vet instructs unless you find it impossible to do.  Then discuss with the vet other options.

        Hope Maggie does well on the new meds. Keep us posted!

        Laurie

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 2, 2013
          Hi Taca,

          Is your generic plavix labeled Clopidogrel 75mg?  Where do you live?

          That price is amazing... I am paying $30.84 for 16 pills at Walmart... but that was a huge savings after paying $56.84 for just 8 of the Plavix branded pills.
          Just wanted to verify your pricing before I call the pharmacy to inquire ;-)

          Thanks!
          Laurie

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 2, 2013
            I asked the cardiologist recently about switching to cardisure but they have never prescribed it for cats and had no information on it.  So I did not feel good about making the change.  My understanding is that it's the exact same ingredients, is that correct?  Can you tell me if it is similar in size to the vetmedin?  My other concern is that it would be even larger than the current vetmedin which makes my decision about switching easier ;-)

            Thanks!
            Laurie

            ________________________________

            --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "binarina1" wrote:

            > Hello,
            >
            > My cat is on 1.25 mg twice a day, I just halve them, not had to quarter them, he has no problems with their size. I'm using cardisure now which is exactly the same but cheaper I believe.
            >
            > I have been told by two vets that they must be given on an empty stomach and then food must be withheld for an hour afterwards. I know others on here have been told differently, and I did find some research to say that once a cat is stable food isn't as much of an issue. But, the bioavailability of the drug is apparently reduced with food, so I'm sticking to what my vet told me.
            >
            > My cat is struggling with this method as he gets excess stomach acid when he hasn't eaten for a few hours. But he has quite advanced HCM so I'm frightened to change things.
            >
            > I give frusemide and cardisure together AM and PM twelve hours apart. Then fortekor and prilactone together in the evening. And asprin and plavix mid afternoon with around an hour between them (Plavix everyday, asprin twice a week). I don't know if that's a good way to give them or not, just how I do it.
            >
            > Hope that helps.

            __

          • binarina1
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 2, 2013
              Hi Laurie,

              All I know is that I rang for a repeat for a repeat for vetmedin, went to pick it up and it was cardisure. It looks exactly the same, the instructions are the same, I haven't checked the ingredients, but can do if you would like. They are both pimobendan, so I think it must just be brand names.

              It's the same size.

              Hope that helps, Sara.

              --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Laurie Stead <kittykatwhiskas@...> wrote:

              > I asked the cardiologist recently about switching to cardisure but they have never prescribed it for cats and had no information on it.  So I did not feel good about making the change.  My understanding is that it's the exact same ingredients, is that correct?  Can you tell me if it is similar in size to the vetmedin?  My other concern is that it would be even larger than the current vetmedin which makes my decision about switching easier ;-)
              >
              > Thanks!
              > Laurie
              >

              > ________________________________

            • Laurie Stead
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 2, 2013
                It does help, Sara, thank you!  Now I find it really odd Cornell didn't know about it...

                ________________________________

                --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Laurie Stead wrote:

                > I asked the cardiologist recently about switching to cardisure but they have never prescribed it for cats and had no information on it.  So I did not feel good about making the change.  My understanding is that it's the exact same ingredients, is that correct?  Can you tell me if it is similar in size to the vetmedin?  My other concern is that it would be even larger than the current vetmedin which makes my decision about switching easier ;-)
                >
                > Thanks!
                > Laurie
                >

                > ________________________________

              • elfinmyst
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 2, 2013
                  Hi

                  Clopidogrel is generic plavix.
                  Cardisure is exactly the same as Vetmedin. My cats switched last month as
                  it's cheaper.

                  :)Lyn

                • Mary Sue Rubin
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 2, 2013
                    I think cardisure is in the UK and Vetmedin is in the US. Is that correct? They seem to be the same drug. The Vetmedin is off label for cats in the US. I was given the 1.25 mg to cut in half. The first time I gave it to Esther she chewed it, but not again. I cut the half in half and use Pill Pockets. Luckily, she has been taking her meds that way. If she stops, I will put everything into one capsule and give it to her with a pill gun. The cardiologist said it was okay to use Pill Pockets. I was concerned about the sodium content.

                    Regarding an earlier question about giving Vetmedin with or without food, my cardiologist did not specify. I have read that giving it without food allows it to start working more quickly, but giving it with food does not change the bioavailability, just the speed with which it starts working.

                    Mary Sue

                    --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com <mailto:feline-heart%40yahoogroups.com> , Laurie Stead wrote:

                    > I asked the cardiologist recently about switching to cardisure but they have never prescribed it for cats and had no information on it. So I did not feel good about making the change. My understanding is that it's the exact same ingredients, is that correct? Can you tell me if it is similar in size to the vetmedin? My other concern is that it would be even larger than the current vetmedin which makes my decision about switching easier ;-)
                    >
                    > Thanks!
                    > Laurie
                    >

                    > ________________________________

                  • Laurie Stead
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 2, 2013
                      I remember, Lyn, as you are the person who made me aware of Cardisure :-)  I had spoken to the cardiologist and she was weary in trying it, had no experience with it.  So just today when another member mentioned it, I wanted to make sure it was the same size... I am going to make that switch when it's time for a refill.

                      Thanks!
                      Laurie

                      ________________________________
                      Cardisure is exactly the same as Vetmedin. My cats switched last month as
                      it's cheaper.

                      :)Lyn

                      .

                    • Laurie Stead
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 2, 2013
                        I use pill pockets too and had the same worry about the sodium. The cardiologist told me it was fine since it's such a minimal amount and the fact it allows it to be a stress-free process is helping her more than hurting her.  I only use 1/2 pill pocket per pill as I found using the entire thing was unnecessary, they are pretty big.

                        ________________________________
                        I think cardisure is in the UK and Vetmedin is in the US. Is that correct? They seem to be the same drug. The Vetmedin is off label for cats in the US. I was given the 1.25 mg to cut in half. The first time I gave it to Esther she chewed it, but not again. I cut the half in half and use Pill Pockets. Luckily, she has been taking her meds that way. If she stops, I will put everything into one capsule and give it to her with a pill gun. The cardiologist said it was okay to use Pill Pockets. I was concerned about the sodium content.

                        Regarding an earlier question about giving Vetmedin with or without food, my cardiologist did not specify. I have read that giving it without food allows it to start working more quickly, but giving it with food does not change the bioavailability, just the speed with which it starts working.

                        Mary Sue

                        It does help, Sara, thank you! Now I find it really odd Cornell didn't know about it...

                        ________________________________
                        All I know is that I rang for a repeat for a repeat for vetmedin, went to pick it up and it was cardisure. It looks exactly the same, the instructions are the same, I haven't checked the ingredients, but can do if you would like. They are both pimobendan, so I think it must just be brand names.

                        It's the same size.

                        Hope that helps, Sara.

                        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com , Laurie Stead wrote:

                        > I asked the cardiologist recently about switching to cardisure but they have never prescribed it for cats and had no information on it. So I did not feel good about making the change. My understanding is that it's the exact same ingredients, is that correct? Can you tell me if it is similar in size to the vetmedin? My other concern is that it would be even larger than the current vetmedin which makes my decision about switching easier ;-)
                        >
                        > Thanks!
                        > Laurie

                      • Jordan Salim
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 2, 2013
                          Hi Laurie,

                          I get the Plavix generic at my local Costco for only $8!!! I called around when I got the prescription and they had the best price.

                          Jordan and Sheba

                          Sent from my iPad