Re: HCM & suspected Asthma Inhaled steroids bound to fail because oral s

  • Jordan
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2013
      Hi Sinead

      What breed is your kitty?? Feline asthma is more common among siamese and himalayan breeds.

      My Sheba who is himalayan has BOTH feline asthma and heart disease and she is on INHALED STEROIDS. She takes an inhaled steriod (Flovent) with the aid of an AeroKat inhaler (http://www.trudellmed.com/animal-health/aerokat). This is the safer preferred method as it directs the medication directly to the lungs where it is needed without the systemic effects on the rest of the vital organs.

      Sheba rarely has asthma attacks any longer since making the switch from oral to inhaled steroids which turned out to be a DOUBLEY good thing given she was diagnosed with Unclassified Cardiomyopathy too.

      This is the only method I am aware of to safely treat both conditions. Sheba is doing very well on it and has never suffered CHF and hopefully never will. Her asthma is much better controlled on the INHALED STEROIDS and it is definitely worth a try.

      Love and kitty kisses,

      Jordan and Sheba