Re: My cat Duncan was recently diagnosed with HCM

  • elfinmyst
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 28, 2013
      Hi

      I am sorry to hear of Duncan. There is a lot you can do to help. The
      cardiologist is your first call for sure, they'll tell you the stage and give
      Duncan medication he needs to help his heart, and maybe something to help
      control fluid build up if he is in heart failure. They will assess his risks
      and start treatment. My little BSH Trixi was diagnosed with this condition at
      12 weeks old. She is 7 years old this August, despite being given a few
      months to live at the time.

      Start CoQ at 30mg. All my HCM cats take it. Its a food supplement which
      helps the heart. Most cats here are on it, but you can't stop it suddenly.
      It's available as Vetriscience Cardiostrength for cats or the health food
      store.

      You need to learn Duncan's breathing. When he is asleep, count his breaths
      over 15 secs, times by 4. Find what looks normal and is normal for him.
      Watching for changes can quickly tell you if he is starting to enter heart
      failure. Up to 30 breaths is normal, 30+ alarm and 40+ generally an emergency.