Re: My cat Duncan was recently diagnosed with HCM

  • catmomcolumbus
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 27, 2013
      I'm so sorry to hear about your Duncan, but know you are in good company here. My cat Daphne was diagnosed with DCM on Sunday, so I am still adjusting to the horror of it, but I'm in it for the long haul, however long she has.

      You are doing exactly the right thing, getting him to the cardiologist. Is he stable right now? On medication? Has he had an echocardiogram yet, or is that the plan at the cardiologist? I have found this to be a wonderfully supportive group, full of people who are as dedicated to their kitties as we are. You are welcome here.

      --Stacy and Daphne

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "CC" <xpistinaxpistou@...> wrote:

      > I just got the diagnosis today....meeting with the vet cariologist tomorrow...I am just horrified. Duncan is the sweetest cat, and is my 7 year olds best friend...I want to do whatever I can to prolong his life...any advice is appreciated.

    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 28, 2013
        Hi

        I am sorry to hear of Duncan. There is a lot you can do to help. The
        cardiologist is your first call for sure, they'll tell you the stage and give
        Duncan medication he needs to help his heart, and maybe something to help
        control fluid build up if he is in heart failure. They will assess his risks
        and start treatment. My little BSH Trixi was diagnosed with this condition at
        12 weeks old. She is 7 years old this August, despite being given a few
        months to live at the time.

        Start CoQ at 30mg. All my HCM cats take it. Its a food supplement which
        helps the heart. Most cats here are on it, but you can't stop it suddenly.
        It's available as Vetriscience Cardiostrength for cats or the health food
        store.

        You need to learn Duncan's breathing. When he is asleep, count his breaths
        over 15 secs, times by 4. Find what looks normal and is normal for him.
        Watching for changes can quickly tell you if he is starting to enter heart
        failure. Up to 30 breaths is normal, 30+ alarm and 40+ generally an emergency.