Small signs of hope

  • catmomcolumbus
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 27, 2013
      Daphne slept curled up in my closet for most of yesterday, and she didn't get too worked up when I gave her medicine or syringe-fed her. This morning at about 5 a.m. I woke up and found her nibbling on some tuna. Then she wanted out of my bedroom, so I let her go out to wander the rest of the apartment. When I got up this morning, she was waiting at the door. She's no longer laying down to drink water out of her bowl, which is great. I put some kitty food blended with water (the stuff I use to syringe-feed her) in front of her, and she took a few licks on her own. I still had to syringe-feed her to be sure that she was actually getting what she needs, but I find it hopeful that she's showing some cursory interest in food again. And then, when I was done making her eat, she walked away and started cleaning her face and chest. Another good sign!

      I know these things are no guarantee that she's going to be around for much longer, but I have some hope that maybe, just maybe, she'll beat the odds like so many of your kitties. Her RRR is staying right at 24, which is great. Her follow-up with the cardiologist on Monday, and I'm now trying to decide if I should reschedule to give her a little more time to get stronger on the Vetmedin? Or if I should just take her in so we can see where she is and if any of her meds need to be adjusted. You'll also be happy to know that I've now moved all of her meds to 9 a.m. and 9 p.m. No more getting up at 5 a.m. :-)

      I thought I'd share the little ray of light that's peeking through the clouds. :-) Thank you again, all of you, for your stories of hope that are keeping me going.

      --Stacy and Daphne
    • Judi Levens
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 27, 2013
        Hi Stacy and Daphne; great to hear that you both are doing better! sometimes a little ray of hope can go a long way...here's hoping she continues to gain strength. Hugs and purrs to both of you...Judi and Angel Max

        To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 27, 2013
          So I should have used the search BEFORE I wrote my question. I just posted a message looking for anyone else familiar with RCM. My Maggie was diagnosed on Dec. 1st.

          Can you tell me what you learned about the Vetmedin? My vet just discussed this with me but we came to the conclusion to not give it to Maggie because she's proven to be sensitive to meds and my vet didn't feel comfortable about it. I'm curious to learn what kind of info you were given about the drug.

          How is Daphne doing today?

          Courtney & Maggie

          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "catmomcolumbus" <stacy.brannan@...> wrote:

          > Daphne slept curled up in my closet for most of yesterday, and she didn't get too worked up when I gave her medicine or syringe-fed her. This morning at about 5 a.m. I woke up and found her nibbling on some tuna. Then she wanted out of my bedroom, so I let her go out to wander the rest of the apartment. When I got up this morning, she was waiting at the door. She's no longer laying down to drink water out of her bowl, which is great. I put some kitty food blended with water (the stuff I use to syringe-feed her) in front of her, and she took a few licks on her own. I still had to syringe-feed her to be sure that she was actually getting what she needs, but I find it hopeful that she's showing some cursory interest in food again. And then, when I was done making her eat, she walked away and started cleaning her face and chest. Another good sign!
          >
          > I know these things are no guarantee that she's going to be around for much longer, but I have some hope that maybe, just maybe, she'll beat the odds like so many of your kitties. Her RRR is staying right at 24, which is great. Her follow-up with the cardiologist on Monday, and I'm now trying to decide if I should reschedule to give her a little more time to get stronger on the Vetmedin? Or if I should just take her in so we can see where she is and if any of her meds need to be adjusted. You'll also be happy to know that I've now moved all of her meds to 9 a.m. and 9 p.m. No more getting up at 5 a.m. :-)
          >
          > I thought I'd share the little ray of light that's peeking through the clouds. :-) Thank you again, all of you, for your stories of hope that are keeping me going.
          >
          > --Stacy and Daphne

        • catmomcolumbus
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 27, 2013
            Hi, Courtney.

            Folks around here seem to consider Vetmedin a wonder drug. Daphne has been on it since Sunday, and it's especially critical for kitties with DCM, though it seems to help other kinds of heart disease, too. From the studies I have read, it makes the heart muscle stronger and opens the blood vessels so that blood can pass through more easily. In studies, it has extended the life of dogs and cats that have been on it. It's also considered to be pretty well tolerated. Daphne doesn't seem to be having a problem with it, though the drug manufacturer's website says it takes about a week for you to start seeing improvements, with additional improvements over the next several weeks. So, at this point I'm just waiting and praying. It's because of that "at least a week" thing that I'm considering bumping back her follow-up appointment with the cardiologist.

            Today Daphne is a little better than yesterday, thanks so much for asking. She's moving around, she just ate about five teaspoons of slightly watered down baby food for me on her own. Still not enough to discontinue syringe feeding, but it's an improvement. Then she ate some fuzz off the floor, which is her own weird habit she's been doing for years and years. Also a sign that she's feeling a little better, I think.

            So, what did your vet suggest you do for Maggie?

            --Stacy and Daphne

            --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "tourtaney" <tourtaney@...> wrote:

            > So I should have used the search BEFORE I wrote my question. I just posted a message looking for anyone else familiar with RCM. My Maggie was diagnosed on Dec. 1st.
            >
            > Can you tell me what you learned about the Vetmedin? My vet just discussed this with me but we came to the conclusion to not give it to Maggie because she's proven to be sensitive to meds and my vet didn't feel comfortable about it. I'm curious to learn what kind of info you were given about the drug.
            >
            > How is Daphne doing today?
            >
            > Courtney & Maggie
            >
            > --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "catmomcolumbus" <stacy.brannan@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Daphne slept curled up in my closet for most of yesterday, and she didn't get too worked up when I gave her medicine or syringe-fed her. This morning at about 5 a.m. I woke up and found her nibbling on some tuna. Then she wanted out of my bedroom, so I let her go out to wander the rest of the apartment. When I got up this morning, she was waiting at the door. She's no longer laying down to drink water out of her bowl, which is great. I put some kitty food blended with water (the stuff I use to syringe-feed her) in front of her, and she took a few licks on her own. I still had to syringe-feed her to be sure that she was actually getting what she needs, but I find it hopeful that she's showing some cursory interest in food again. And then, when I was done making her eat, she walked away and started cleaning her face and chest. Another good sign!
            > >
            > > I know these things are no guarantee that she's going to be around for much longer, but I have some hope that maybe, just maybe, she'll beat the odds like so many of your kitties. Her RRR is staying right at 24, which is great. Her follow-up with the cardiologist on Monday, and I'm now trying to decide if I should reschedule to give her a little more time to get stronger on the Vetmedin? Or if I should just take her in so we can see where she is and if any of her meds need to be adjusted. You'll also be happy to know that I've now moved all of her meds to 9 a.m. and 9 p.m. No more getting up at 5 a.m. :-)
            > >
            > > I thought I'd share the little ray of light that's peeking through the clouds. :-) Thank you again, all of you, for your stories of hope that are keeping me going.
            > >
            > > --Stacy and Daphne

          • tourtaney
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 27, 2013
              Maggie is on 12.5mg Furosemide, twice/daily however I've added 1/2 tab in between doses and 2.5mg benazapril. Her heart murrmur is a 3-3.5/6 and her heart rate is pretty high. An xray two weeks ago showed fluid rebuilding in her chest cavity. We discussed the Plavix and Vetmedin but my vet is pretty conservative and Maggie has had med. sensitivity in the past so we're worried about side effects. She was first diagnosed Dec. 1st. She has good day and bad days.

              When she was first diagnosed, she was also put on a steriod for her asthma as the asthma can worsen with heart disease and her BPMs have been running high. But the oral steriod proved to be too much and even the inhaled steriod gave her adverse affects and made her breathing MUCH worse. She we dropped all steriods and are just managing the heart disease.. She's 12.

> [...]

              > > > I know these things are no guarantee that she's going to be around for much longer, but I have some hope that maybe, just maybe, she'll beat the odds like so many of your kitties. Her RRR is staying right at 24, which is great. Her follow-up with the cardiologist on Monday, and I'm now trying to decide if I should reschedule to give her a little more time to get stronger on the Vetmedin? Or if I should just take her in so we can see where she is and if any of her meds need to be adjusted. You'll also be happy to know that I've now moved all of her meds to 9 a.m. and 9 p.m. No more getting up at 5 a.m. :-)
              > > >
              > > > I thought I'd share the little ray of light that's peeking through the clouds. :-) Thank you again, all of you, for your stories of hope that are keeping me going.

            • zan200
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 28, 2013
                Sending prayers and purrs out to you and Daphne, Stacy - I'm fairly new to this whole experience as my now 19 year old Burmese, Chloe was first diagnosed with HCM/englarged heart back in November. Chloe has had many frightening setbacks since her initial diagnosis, and I pray she continues to keep rallying back...

                My biggest piece of advice is don't look at any setback as a FINAL setback - medications can be altered, increased, and changed. You can try increasing your assist-feeding schedule, add assist-fluids, etc. My vet initally gave Chloe days/weeks to live, and never thought she would still be with me 3 1/2 months later...

                Keep on being positive,
                Suzanne and Chloe