My 16-year-old kitty Daphne just diagnosed with DCM

  • catmomcolumbus
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 24, 2013
      Hi, Everyone.

      My goosey old lady kitty, Daphne, was having some respiratory distress yesterday morning, and I knew that was an emergency situation, so I rushed her to the emergency vet hospital. They took X-rays and found pleural adema, so they tapped it, started her on Lasix every hour and stuck her in an oxygen cage. Today, she had an echocardiogram, and I just got the word: she has DCM. The cardiologist is cautioning me that she probably only has a few weeks to live. Right now, they've taken her out of oxygen and are attempting to switch her to an eight-hour dose of Lasix. If she stays stable, she'll get to come home tonight, tomorrow at the latest.

      The emergency vet says she's alert and talking to them, eating and moving around just fine. So her quality of life is pretty good at the moment. They're going to send her with medications, though I can't remember all of them right now (I'll update later, once I have her treatment plan in hand). Plavix was one, for sure, and a taurine supplement, just in case, although she's been eating high quality commercial pet food her whole life with me. I'm reading on this board and elsewhere that she really needs to be on Vetmedin, so I'm going to make sure that happens.

      My heart is breaking, I've been sobbing since I talked to the vet a bit ago, but I'm also a fighter for my kitties, so I will do whatever I need to do to keep Daphne well as long as I can. Whatever input you folks might have would be appreciated.

      --Stacy
    • Westgold
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 24, 2013
        Don't let anybody give you a timeline!! Some of our kitties have been going for years and years after they were diagnosed. Each kitty is different. It sounds like you got on top of this immediately, and that's good. Taurine is the appropriate treatment for DCM. Just do everything the cardiologist tells you to do -- he knows best. He will give her her best chance of a normal life now. Your greatest challenge will be controlling the fluids -- so when you talk to him the next time be sure he answers all your questions. Like what you should do if she should start having breathing problems in the middle of the night -- will he give you extra meds to have at home so you can treat her instantly? Be sure to know the doses, etc. You know her better than anybody, can will be able to tell if she's having problems. we'll all help you too --

        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 24, 2013
          Stacy,

          I am sorry to hear of Daphne's dx and what she has been through but it's great news she responded to the treatment.  The exact same thing happened to my little girl Nov 2011, also diagnosed with DCM and guess what?  She is right next to me doing very well!  I was told "months at best".

          Did they test her taurine level?  This blood test will rule out the taurine deficiency.

          You are absolutely right about starting her on vetmedin.

          You will want to keep her environment stress-free and get used to taking her resting respiratory rate at home.  This is a great way to monitor her breathing and know when something is off, before a true crisis.

          I hope Daphne is able to come home soon and continues to get better.  It is possible, so stay positive and keep us posted on how she is doing.

          Laurie and Boo

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 24, 2013
            Thank you both! You all have been an inspiration already! I have some experience dealing with long-term kitty illnesses, having lost my 20-year-old man Edward to CRF in September 2011. He was given weeks to live, but my nursing and constant vigilance gave him another six months. I will definitely ask the cardiologist what she recommends for the middle of the night. The emergency vet told me I'll need to keep very vigilant about fluid build-up in Daphne's lungs, and if she really starts laboring, get her back in there for another chest tap. Thankfully, Daphne's a pretty tough long-haired tortie, and she doesn't seem to be phased too much. They were worried yesterday about stressing her and were going to take their time putting in her IV catheter for the Lasix, getting her blood and doing the X-rays, but she took it all like a champ. I was just remembering earlier today that she was so much more sensitive when she was younger. She's mellowed in her old age. :-)

            They did tell me they're sending out for the taurine test, but that it takes three weeks to come back. So, in the meantime, we're going ahead with the taurine supplement.

            --Stacy and Daphne

            --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Laurie Stead <kittykatwhiskas@...> wrote:

            > Stacy,
            >
            > I am sorry to hear of Daphne's dx and what she has been through but it's great news she responded to the treatment.  The exact same thing happened to my little girl Nov 2011, also diagnosed with DCM and guess what?  She is right next to me doing very well!  I was told "months at best".
            >
            > Did they test her taurine level?  This blood test will rule out the taurine deficiency.
            >
            > You are absolutely right about starting her on vetmedin.
            >

            > You will want to keep her environment stress-free and get used to taking her resting respiratory rate at home.  This is a great way to monitor her breathing and know when something is off, before a true crisis.
            >
            > I hope Daphne is able to come home soon and continues to get better.  It is possible, so stay positive and keep us posted on how she is doing.
            >
            > Laurie and Boo
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Laurie Stead
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 24, 2013
              Sounds like you have a great cardiologist which in my opinion is half the battle!  Yes, definitely supplement Taurine until the results are back.

              Laurie

              ________________________________

              --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Laurie Stead wrote:

              > Stacy,
              >
              > I am sorry to hear of Daphne's dx and what she has been through but it's great news she responded to the treatment.  The exact same thing happened to my little girl Nov 2011, also diagnosed with DCM and guess what?  She is right next to me doing very well!  I was told "months at best".
              >
              > Did they test her taurine level?  This blood test will rule out the taurine deficiency.
              >
              > You are absolutely right about starting her on vetmedin.
              >

              > You will want to keep her environment stress-free and get used to taking her resting respiratory rate at home.  This is a great way to monitor her breathing and know when something is off, before a true crisis.
              >
              > I hope Daphne is able to come home soon and continues to get better.  It is possible, so stay positive and keep us posted on how she is doing.
              >
              > Laurie and Boo
              >

              > ________________________________

            • catmomcolumbus
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 24, 2013
                Okay, Daphne is home now. Here are her medications:

                She's on 10 mg of Lasix (half a 20 mg tab) every 8 hours for two more doses, then it will drop to 10 mg every 12 hours. I'm a little worried about this, but it's what the cardiologist is recommending for now.

                Then she's on 1/4 a 5 mg tab of Vetmedin every 12 hours, 1/4 a 75 mg tab of Plavix every 24 hours and 1/2 a 250 mg tablet of taurine every 12 hours.

                She's come home, had a lot of water but so far no food (I'll keep trying), and now she's hiding in my closet. She seems to be sleepy. It's hard not to lose heart when I look at her. She had her first dose of most of those medicines just this afternoon -- everything but the Lasix, I think. Is it normal for them to go through a period of sleepiness while they're adjusting to everything?

                Thanks again, everyone.

                --Stacy and Daphne

                --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Laurie Stead <kittykatwhiskas@...> wrote:

                > Sounds like you have a great cardiologist which in my opinion is half the battle!  Yes, definitely supplement Taurine until the results are back.
                >
                > Laurie
                >

                > ________________________________

              • Laurie Stead
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 24, 2013
                  Absolutely normal, just imagine what her little body has been through.  Was she sedated while at the hospital?  It took Boo several days to come out of all the meds, stress and trauma. It will also take some time for her body to adjust to all the meds.

                  Did the cardiologist mention prescribing an ACE-inhibitor like benazepril?  That seems to be the one medication missing.

                  Let her rest as she bounces back, but keep an eye on her breathing.  Make sure her RRR remains under 30.  If it starts to creep up, that is a sign of trouble.  The lasix should keep the fluid under control now, but monitoring the RRR is a good check for you to feel at ease.

                  It will get easier... the first few days home is really tough. It was over a year ago now and I do recall how upsetting it was, not knowing.  You are doing everything right. So get some rest yourself and with each day Daphne will get stronger.

                  Laurie

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 24, 2013
                    I'm not sure about the ACE-inhibitor. We're supposed to go back in to see the cardiologist in a week to two weeks. Should I wait to ask about it until that follow-up, or should I call tomorrow morning and ask about it?

                    She just rolled over on her side and asked that I pet her belly, so that's a good sign. :-)

                    --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Laurie Stead <kittykatwhiskas@...> wrote:

                    > Absolutely normal, just imagine what her little body has been through.  Was she sedated while at the hospital?  It took Boo several days to come out of all the meds, stress and trauma. It will also take some time for her body to adjust to all the meds.
                    >

                    > Did the cardiologist mention prescribing an ACE-inhibitor like benazepril?  That seems to be the one medication missing.
                    >
                    > Let her rest as she bounces back, but keep an eye on her breathing.  Make sure her RRR remains under 30.  If it starts to creep up, that is a sign of trouble.  The lasix should keep the fluid under control now, but monitoring the RRR is a good check for you to feel at ease.
                    >

                    > It will get easier... the first few days home is really tough. It was over a year ago now and I do recall how upsetting it was, not knowing.  You are doing everything right. So get some rest yourself and with each day Daphne will get stronger.
                    >
                    > Laurie
                    >

                    > ________________________________

                  • tafoster4000
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 24, 2013
                      Was just reading about Daphne. I sure can relate. A year ago, on Leap Day, my 16 year old Moe went into congestive heart failure. He had just been diagnosed with hyperthyroid, got some subq fluids at vets 2 days before which sent him into CHF. Spent the day in ER, he had a thorancentesis and ECHO with diagnosis of severe restrictive cardiomyopathy unrelated to his hypert. Prognosis very poor, maybe 2 months.

                      Well he is still here, will be one year on March 1st since there is no Feb 29th this year. Vet started him on 12.5mg lasix twice a day along with his methimazole for his hyperT and had me lower the lasix to 6.25 twice a day after 4 days with recheck in 7 days. He seemed fine but had fluid buildup at 7 day checkup, so upped the lasix back to 12.5mg twice a day. Then after another recheck in a week, added pimobendan (1.25mg twice a day) along with enalapril and plavix once a day. Recheck in 2 weeks. Vet said she didn't want to add all the drugs at one time, wanted to let the body adjust before adding another. The lasix was critical at first. She had me start with half dose of pimobendan for a week before increasing to current dose, same with enalapril.

                      At that recheck, had inhouse chem test for kidneys. Everything looked fine, for Moe, been running BUN in 40's for a couple of years, high protein grain free canned mainly and creatinine 2, so he continued on 12.5mg lasix BID for 10 months. Then 2 months ago, his BUN and creatinine started creeping up (68 and 3), so we have been gradually lowering his lasix and I added Azodyl. At last recheck,a month after lowering his lasix, his BUN and Creatinine are down (42 and 2.4) which is good but now his left atrium has enlarged again. At his 6 month recheck ECHO atriums were almost back to normal.

                      So recheck next month and will see how things look. Moe can't have subq fluids, so I add lots of water to his canned food, probably 50-75mls/day.

                      So Moe's few months have gone to a year, so vet's really can't give you any real timeline. I did ask Moe's cardiology vet about her initial prognosis and she said she prefers to be alittle more negative with a guarded prognosis instead of saying a year and cat is gone in a month. As she said, each cat responds diffently. Moe had a good response to the heart drugs. Now we are in this balancing act with his kidneys.

                      Taca

                      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "catmomcolumbus" <stacy.brannan@...> wrote:

                      > I'm not sure about the ACE-inhibitor. We're supposed to go back in to see the cardiologist in a week to two weeks. Should I wait to ask about it until that follow-up, or should I call tomorrow morning and ask about it?
                      >
                      > She just rolled over on her side and asked that I pet her belly, so that's a good sign. :-)
                      >

                      > --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Laurie Stead <kittykatwhiskas@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Absolutely normal, just imagine what her little body has been through.  Was she sedated while at the hospital?  It took Boo several days to come out of all the meds, stress and trauma. It will also take some time for her body to adjust to all the meds.
                      > >

                      > > Did the cardiologist mention prescribing an ACE-inhibitor like benazepril?  That seems to be the one medication missing.
                      > >
                      > > Let her rest as she bounces back, but keep an eye on her breathing.  Make sure her RRR remains under 30.  If it starts to creep up, that is a sign of trouble.  The lasix should keep the fluid under control now, but monitoring the RRR is a good check for you to feel at ease.
                      > >

                      > > It will get easier... the first few days home is really tough. It was over a year ago now and I do recall how upsetting it was, not knowing.  You are doing everything right. So get some rest yourself and with each day Daphne will get stronger.
                      > >
                      > > Laurie
                      > >

                      > > ________________________________

                    • elfinmyst
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 25, 2013
                        Hi Stacy

                        Ignore the timeline. Trixi, age 3 months, was given a few months to live
                        with HCM as a kitten. Here she is, despite about 10 pills a day and a heart
                        attack, age 7 next birthday!

                        Learn to count breaths. See what is normal over a minute, it should be
                        measured whilst sleeping peacefully or resting. Count for 15 seconds and times
                        by 4. That way you can easily see any changes to the rhythm, increased
                        breathing or odd signs like 'double breaths' or 'ribs pulled in breaths'. The
                        important thing is a change from normal. Up to 30 is normal, 30+ alarm and
                        40+ emergency.

                      • catmomcolumbus
                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 25, 2013
                          I just talked to Daphne's cardiologist, and she's so wonderful.

                          I asked about the ACE inhibitor, and she said Daphne's blood pressure was actually on the low end of normal when she was there, right around 80 to 85. They didn't want to make it drop any more than that, so no ACE inhibitor right now. She said some vets do still go ahead with that, but they just tend to be a little more conservative there.

                          Then I asked her if I could move her medicines around a little, since two of her medicines are currently scheduled for 5 a.m. and 5 p.m. She said, "I love you for being willing to get up at 5 a.m. to give her medicine, but, no, you really don't have to do that. We get spoiled because we have vet techs here around the clock. You need to sleep." So I can move them an hour forward or back every dose until I get them where I prefer them to be. And I can coordinate them so I give them all at once. I hadn't been sure if there had to be a buffer of a few hours between the Lasix and the Vetmedin or something, but there doesn't. :-)

                          She also said what you all said, that her sleepiness right now is probably just the exhaustion of being in the hospital for two days, since the lights are always on and there are dog noises and people are always messing with you. So I will try not to panic while she recovers.

                          Thank you all so much for your encouragement. It's so good to hear so many stories of kitties who have beaten their prognosis. I really hope Daphne manages to, too. I scheduled her follow-up appointment with the cardiologist for next Monday, so we'll see.
                        • elfinmyst
                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 25, 2013
                            Hi

                            I give meds at 9am and 9pm which is a lot better than 5!! Gosh, you're a
                            saint to be up then, definitely change the times. The sleepiness is totally
                            normal from the hospital and the pills. It might last up to two weeks but
                            they do get their bounce back:)

                          • marina palmerio
                            Message 13 of 17 , Feb 25, 2013
                              Hi Stacy and Daphne,

                              I can totally relate to your story as 18 days ago my 14 year old kitty, Kitty, had a seizure and was diagnosed with HCM and lost temporary use of her hind legs. In all these years, Kitty only had a bout of cystitis last August which was quickly cured with antibiotics. Long story short, she was in the clinic for 5 days and totally traumatized from it and it took her almost a week until she was somewhat back to normal.  She is on 4 different meds which I administer at 9a, 4p and 9p ( 2 pills per time).  Very traumatic as no pill pockets here and the pill gun will not work wit her.

                              Stacy, how many pills does Daphne take? Good to know that your vet says  you can eventually coordinate all at once.

                              Question for the group: Today, Kitty threw up and she had a bit of diarrhea. She then went back and forth to the litter box and nothing happened. Would this be symptomatic of HCM or meds? I called my vet and he said to put her on antibiotics again as the cystitis might have returned. Is it ok to mix antibiotics ( Clavobay it's called here in IT) with the other meds ( Vasotop, Diuren, Plavix and Atenolol)?

                              Stacy, sounds like you're a wonderful cat mom and that you have a marvelous cardiologist.. One day at a time and I'm sure Daphne will bounce back. Kitty was in a 24 hour clinic ( we're here in Florence, IT) with dogs barking and force feeding and plenty of poking and it took her some time to get over it. Plus getting used to the meds..

                              All the best to you and hoping Daphne is back to her old self soon and thanks to all for any insight you can provide on the above.

                              Ciao,
                              Marina and Kitty

                              ________________________________

                              Message 14 of 17 , Feb 25, 2013
                                Hi Marina

                                It's fine to give antibiotics. All my heart cats use them at first sign of
                                an infection too, whatever meds they are on.

                              • catmomcolumbus
                                Message 15 of 17 , Feb 25, 2013
                                  Hi, Marina.

                                  Daphne takes four medications now -- Lasix, Plavix, Vetmedin and a taurine supplement because she has DCM, which can sometimes be caused by a taurine deficiency. The taurine is kind of huge, and she has to take half of it, so I end up having to break it in half to make it small enough for her. I should go to the supplement store and see if I can find something smaller. This afternoon I learned that I really need to trim her claws. :-D I triumphed and got them all down her throat thanks to Pill Pockets, but it took some doing and I'm bleeding a little bit for it.

                                  It sounds like you've been through a lot. I'm glad to hear that Kitty has bounced back. It's so traumatic and overwhelming for them and for us. I have some hope now because when I went searching for Daphne for her 6 p.m. pills, she was laying on her side, sleeping on the living room rug. She's obviously feeling like she can breathe pretty well right now!

                                  I don't have much help with the diarrhea and vomiting, I don't think. The notes I have from my vet say that Vetmedin can rarely cause nausea and diarrhea, but it doesn't look like Kitty is on that. Hopefully your vet's idea that it's cystitis is right and the antibiotics will help.

                                  I'm glad we can all support each other through this.

                                  --Stacy and Daphne

                                  --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, marina palmerio <mjpalmerio@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi Stacy and Daphne,
                                  >
                                  > I can totally relate to your story as 18 days ago my 14 year old kitty, Kitty, had a seizure and was diagnosed with HCM and lost temporary use of her hind legs. In all these years, Kitty only had a bout of cystitis last August which was quickly cured with antibiotics. Long story short, she was in the clinic for 5 days and totally traumatized from it and it took her almost a week until she was somewhat back to normal.  She is on 4 different meds which I administer at 9a, 4p and 9p ( 2 pills per time).  Very traumatic as no pill pockets here and the pill gun will not work wit her.
                                  >
                                  > Stacy, how many pills does Daphne take? Good to know that your vet says  you can eventually coordinate all at once.
                                  >
                                  > Question for the group: Today, Kitty threw up and she had a bit of diarrhea. She then went back and forth to the litter box and nothing happened. Would this be symptomatic of HCM or meds? I called my vet and he said to put her on antibiotics again as the cystitis might have returned. Is it ok to mix antibiotics ( Clavobay it's called here in IT) with the other meds ( Vasotop, Diuren, Plavix and Atenolol)?
                                  >
                                  > Stacy, sounds like you're a wonderful cat mom and that you have a marvelous cardiologist.. One day at a time and I'm sure Daphne will bounce back. Kitty was in a 24 hour clinic ( we're here in Florence, IT) with dogs barking and force feeding and plenty of poking and it took her some time to get over it. Plus getting used to the meds..
                                  >
                                  > All the best to you and hoping Daphne is back to her old self soon and thanks to all for any insight you can provide on the above.
                                  >
                                  > Ciao,
                                  > Marina and Kitty
                                  >

                                  > ________________________________

                                • zan200
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Feb 25, 2013
                                    Hi Stacy,
                                    You're doing a great job with Daphne...Again, to echo what many of the great folks here on the Forum have said, don't take the vet's timeline as something set in stone. My now 19 year old Burmese, Chloe was given days/weeks to live when she was diagnosed with HCM and a severely enlarged heart back in November. Chloe has had numerous ups and downs, is being syringe fed supplemental food and fluids, but is still here 3 1/2 months later.

                                    To make things easier on both you and Daphne, ask your vet if you can give more than one medication at the same time. As I mentioned in another post, using a gelcap, I'm able to give Chloe all three of her heart meds. (enalapril, spironolactone, lasix) in one gelcap all at once. It really makes life easier...

                                    Take Care,
                                    Suzanne and Chloe
                                  • Jordan
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Feb 25, 2013
                                      Marina,

                                      Any chance the vomiting occurred after giving the plavix? I just went through a similar thing with my Sheba. I have to makes sure that her Plavix is in a whole pill pocket (I was using a half). I realized that any less creates tummy upset and she will vomit her plavix and dinner up within 15-30 minutes of adminstering the plavix.

                                      When she vomits, it is usually followed by diarrhea too.

                                      So I have been placing her Plavix in half a gelcap pushed inside a whole pill pocket. She chomps it down and keeps her dinner down too. I additionally add pumpkins to her food and the diarrhea will subside in a couple of days.

                                      Her cardiologist confirmed that Plavix can cause tummy upset in 1 out of 10 kitties.

                                      Good luck,
                                      Jordan and Sheba