Re: [FH] Re: New here

  • Westgold
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 24, 2013
      Seizures in older kitties are almost always caused by a brain tumor. It's very rare for an older kitty to develop epilepsy. I learned a lot about it when my soul-kitty suddenly had seizures one day shortly after he turned 16. There is a great yahoogroup called vettalk for things in addition to heart disease, there are several vets on that list. unfortunately we don't have any vets on FH. But you can join vettalk and post your whole story there --
      Message 2 of 23 , May 13, 2014

        Hello all! I am a certified vet tech and my HCM kitty is Rufus!  He was diagnoses 2 years ago this past February 4th when I found him open mouth breathing. He has been doing amazingly until recently. I noticed his breathing at home was more labored, got him in for his recheck with the cardiologist sooner than we had planned. He had fluid buildup...140ml was taken off one side. Labs were checked and normal, medications were adjusted. 2 wk recheck. At that recheck he had more fluid taken off but not as much, again meds adjusted, labs were good. Next recheck fluid but not enough to tap, meds adjusted again and labs were normal. I had to wait 3 weeks instead of the 2 and now today again he has fluid built up. I don't know how much they will remove today, we will check labs and adjust meds again. At home he is happy, eating well and acting normal. Resting rr is good at 24...he hides all this VERY well. I am disheartened to day and my fears that this May be the beginning of the end are becoming more sure.   I'm here for support, advice, tips anything at all that could help me and Rufus! I am going to look at CQ10, he is on fish oil as well. He also had Ibd and eosinophilic granuloma complex so trying different foods is challenging but I am going to see about a lower sodium one we may be able to try. Thank you all in advance!

        Jen & Rufus

      • Cindy Deukmejian
        Message 3 of 23 , May 13, 2014
          Hi Jenny~

          Sorry to hear about Rufus' new problem.  I went through the exact same thing with my Abbey last year at this  time.  She was collecting fluid on the outside of her lungs and was getting tapped every 2 weeks.  Each time her meds were adjusted (her heart doc added more lasix) but it kept happening.  She too was happy at home, hid it well, and it didn't affect her eating.  However, I kept a close watch on her and always knew the signs of when it was time for a tap and I'd take video and send it to her cardiologist.  We were always surprised at how much was pulled from the tap.  It wasn't until her cardiologist added 1/4 pill of Spironolactone to her meds that things got better.  She went to almost 3 weeks before being tapped and then her doc upped it to 1/2 pill and she was great for 6 months!  My suggestion is to look into the Spironolactone.  Not the Spiro/HCTZ--make sure it's just the regular Spiro.  Good luck.

          Cindy

          Message 4 of 23 , May 13, 2014
            Hi Jen

            As you have noticed, a change in breathing rate or quality means fluid
            build up. What drugs is he on? When mine go into CHF we up the lasix
            and add a new drug or increased dose. Mine are on vetmedin, fortekor,
            lasix, plavix, spironolactone, atenolol and CoQ 10. Can you say what
            he is on? So can advise further. Vetmedin (pimobendan) has been a
            miracle for my cat. Trixi was given 2 months when diagnosed as a kitten
            and is 8 years this August. She went into severe CHF and was saved by
            vetmedin. When my others get worse, we increase the dose of the drugs
            until they are stable nd then reduce the lasix. Lasix ad spiro are good
            diuretics and can help keep it stable.

            Lyn:)

            www.furkids-selkirks.com
          • JOSIE NEWMAN
            Message 5 of 23 , May 13, 2014

               lyn

              many people say their cardios reduce the lasix dosage when a cat is stable. my cardio is dead set against that although Chloie's congestion seems to have stablized well. do yours get a small reduction or just how much and how slowly does the reduction happen?

              Josie and Chloie

              To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 23 , May 14, 2014
                Hi Josie

                It depends, it's don very cautiously. When they go into heart failure,
                the lasix is raised immediately and if it isn't a short term, we up the
                dose of fortekor or add a drug occasionally. Milli crashed every 6
                months and in the end had the top dose of everything, but each time
                once the heart was stable, the lasix was reduced slowly. So when Trixi
                crashed, she was on 5mg every 4 hours through day and night for three
                weeks, and also added vetmedin and we could increase the fortekor as
                she wasn't on top dose. Once the drugs worked and the heart relaxed,
                her lasix was reduced over about a month, a small bit every 5 days,
                until she was on 5mg twice a day which is what she takes now.
                But that's my cats, all are different..

                hugs:)

                www.furkids-selkirks.com