New here

  • riceaide
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 23, 2013
      Hi,
      I'm not sure how I never joined this group before. My cat had heart failure at the end of last May( 2012). It seemed he was a goner. However, he pulled through after having fluid drained and I took him home. He was in a very bad state, wouldn't eat, etc. I was sure that he was hyperthyroid and that was the cause of his heart problem. However, my finances would not allow for a million diagnostics, particularly after his $1300 emergency vet costs. So the vet did her best with what she could. After initially trying felimazole and some heart med with no real improvements, we eventually found Tigre had high blood pressure, gave him amlodipine and saw results very quickly. Since then he has been definitively diagnosed as hyperthyroid (I frequent that yahoo group) but there's been problems figuring out a good dose of thyroid med for him, though he's continued on the amlodipne.

      I'm here now because when he first came home from the hospital, he started having bizare seizure kind of episodes. They were not violent, thrashing type seizures, but rather a slow-motion sort of collapsing that involved very odd involuntary movements of limbs. It's frightening to see. I have shot video a few times and after viewing them, the vet seems perplexed as well.

      He improved remarkably following the amlodipine and has lived longer than the vet expected. However, in December he began having seizures again, which had stopped for several months. At first it was just one or two a week, very mild. I took him to a vet internist who I now believe to know very little (I think she's new to practice), who wouldn't try any new meds without diagnostics I cannot afford (MRI, ultrasound), but thought the seizures were related to thyroid. We took him off the thyroid med to test him, and found he was definitively HT- though not extremely so by any means, and vet wanted to then start him back on the med- at 4x the dose he'd been taking! I refused to put him on such a high dose, so started him back on 1.90 mg/day (previously he'd taken 1.25/day) with the idea of increasing to 2.5 day after a week or so. Well, a week goes by and he is eating 2x what he had (already a lot!) so i figure he can go to 2.5 mg. After about 9 days of being back on the felimazole, he looked AMAZING. Better than I'd seen him in years. Fur was beautiful, he was energetic, happy. A friend saw him and commented on how he looked better than when she'd last saw him- a week before! At that point he had been at the 2.5 mg. of felimazole a few days. Just a couple days later, he started looking less wonderful. A week later, my friend comes over again and comments on how Tigre doesn't look so good. I mention her comments because I figure I'm too biased and I see him all the time. Her comments came unsolicited so I figure they're somewhat objective.
      He did have a few mild seizure type episodes in those weeks, but not much. I report this to the internist and she says to increase his felimazole. Stupidly, I did. So he was then on 3.25 mg of felimazole. His health begins to decline further. After posting on the HT group, I'm advised to reduce his felimazole. So I did.

      He is now on 1.25 mg/day again. A couple weeks ago he began sleeping in odd locations. He has peed in my closet more than once. He began having seizures regularly over a week ago. I took him back to his old vet last week and she said his situation is confounding.
      The only explanation I've heard is the possibility of blood pressure spikes. However, he's on amlodipine, which initially lowered his BP to an acceptable level. In December they checked his BP at the emergency vet after I brought him in because he started having the seizures. At that visiit His BP was the lowest it's been, which is to say at a good level.
      I'm at a loss.
      Two nights ago it seemed like his last. He was having a prolonged seizure like fit. His old vet had agreed to try an additional heart med, enlapril, if his seizures continued, to see if it might help in case it's a bp issue. That night I started Tigre on the enlapril, and later gave him a lasix, the first diuretic since he had the heart failure.
      I woke to find he'd eaten during the night and he was up and walking around.
      The last couple days he seems to improve after his lasix dose,which would seem to indicate his heart is weak and fluid is building up (though he never had the rapid breathing he did the night he had heart failure), but today he has had several more seizures. I know many will say to take him to the vet, but he's been to the vet more times than I can count in the last 3 months, and to 4 different vets at that. None can explain, all say expensive tests might give some indication but not necessarily improve his prognosis. At this point, I'm just waiting for either an improvement or the end. I know that sounds awful, and it feels awful, but I can't seen prolonging his life if it's going to be like this, and I can't continue going through this horrible anxiety of wondering if I'll come home to find him running around or lying on the floor, gone.
      But what I'd like to know is whether others here with cats that have HCM have seen bizarre seizure-like fits and if so, what was the underlying cause and/or what, if anything were you able to do?
      I'm very sorry for this ridiculously long post. I'm just very sad and extremely frustrated by the lack of info. And Tigre's seizures, if that's what they are, are just so odd. I've seen little even online that match what he has. And when the vet saw some of his fit, she really didn't know what to make of it.
      Thanks,
      Lisa and Tigre
    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 24, 2013
        Hi Lisa

        Has he been checked for epilepsy or tried drugs for that condition?

        Hyperthyroid can cause secondary HCM so controlling that would certainly
        help his heart. None of those medications I would thought were linked to
        seizures, my catts have been on some of those for years, including the
        felimasole.

        Is it possible his blood pressure is too low? A good level at the vets may
        be too low at home when he is relaxed. None of this seems to be related to
        his meds, it must be so confusing for you.

      • Westgold

          Message 4 of 23 , May 13, 2014

            Hello all! I am a certified vet tech and my HCM kitty is Rufus!  He was diagnoses 2 years ago this past February 4th when I found him open mouth breathing. He has been doing amazingly until recently. I noticed his breathing at home was more labored, got him in for his recheck with the cardiologist sooner than we had planned. He had fluid buildup...140ml was taken off one side. Labs were checked and normal, medications were adjusted. 2 wk recheck. At that recheck he had more fluid taken off but not as much, again meds adjusted, labs were good. Next recheck fluid but not enough to tap, meds adjusted again and labs were normal. I had to wait 3 weeks instead of the 2 and now today again he has fluid built up. I don't know how much they will remove today, we will check labs and adjust meds again. At home he is happy, eating well and acting normal. Resting rr is good at 24...he hides all this VERY well. I am disheartened to day and my fears that this May be the beginning of the end are becoming more sure.   I'm here for support, advice, tips anything at all that could help me and Rufus! I am going to look at CQ10, he is on fish oil as well. He also had Ibd and eosinophilic granuloma complex so trying different foods is challenging but I am going to see about a lower sodium one we may be able to try. Thank you all in advance!

            Jen & Rufus

          • Cindy Deukmejian
            Message 5 of 23 , May 13, 2014
              Hi Jenny~

              Sorry to hear about Rufus' new problem.  I went through the exact same thing with my Abbey last year at this  time.  She was collecting fluid on the outside of her lungs and was getting tapped every 2 weeks.  Each time her meds were adjusted (her heart doc added more lasix) but it kept happening.  She too was happy at home, hid it well, and it didn't affect her eating.  However, I kept a close watch on her and always knew the signs of when it was time for a tap and I'd take video and send it to her cardiologist.  We were always surprised at how much was pulled from the tap.  It wasn't until her cardiologist added 1/4 pill of Spironolactone to her meds that things got better.  She went to almost 3 weeks before being tapped and then her doc upped it to 1/2 pill and she was great for 6 months!  My suggestion is to look into the Spironolactone.  Not the Spiro/HCTZ--make sure it's just the regular Spiro.  Good luck.

              Cindy

              Message 6 of 23 , May 13, 2014
                Hi Jen

                As you have noticed, a change in breathing rate or quality means fluid
                build up. What drugs is he on? When mine go into CHF we up the lasix
                and add a new drug or increased dose. Mine are on vetmedin, fortekor,
                lasix, plavix, spironolactone, atenolol and CoQ 10. Can you say what
                he is on? So can advise further. Vetmedin (pimobendan) has been a
                miracle for my cat. Trixi was given 2 months when diagnosed as a kitten
                and is 8 years this August. She went into severe CHF and was saved by
                vetmedin. When my others get worse, we increase the dose of the drugs
                until they are stable nd then reduce the lasix. Lasix ad spiro are good
                diuretics and can help keep it stable.

                Lyn:)

                www.furkids-selkirks.com
              • JOSIE NEWMAN
                Message 7 of 23 , May 13, 2014

                   lyn

                  many people say their cardios reduce the lasix dosage when a cat is stable. my cardio is dead set against that although Chloie's congestion seems to have stablized well. do yours get a small reduction or just how much and how slowly does the reduction happen?

                  Josie and Chloie

                  To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 23 , May 14, 2014
                    Hi Josie

                    It depends, it's don very cautiously. When they go into heart failure,
                    the lasix is raised immediately and if it isn't a short term, we up the
                    dose of fortekor or add a drug occasionally. Milli crashed every 6
                    months and in the end had the top dose of everything, but each time
                    once the heart was stable, the lasix was reduced slowly. So when Trixi
                    crashed, she was on 5mg every 4 hours through day and night for three
                    weeks, and also added vetmedin and we could increase the fortekor as
                    she wasn't on top dose. Once the drugs worked and the heart relaxed,
                    her lasix was reduced over about a month, a small bit every 5 days,
                    until she was on 5mg twice a day which is what she takes now.
                    But that's my cats, all are different..

                    hugs:)

                    www.furkids-selkirks.com