Re: [FH] New To Group with a Sweet DCM Boy...

  • bubbacat12003
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 21, 2013
      Marcid:
      I'm glad you have a plan in case of an emergency! But you should know that it may take some time to work out what meds and what doses are best for Scruffy. I wouldn't be quick to "gently let him go", especially since it appears he's not suffering in any way. "Happy, interactive and eating well" is what we all wish for our furkids!

      Is Scruffy under the care of a cardiologist?

      Jo

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 21, 2013
        Sorry to hear about Scruffy's dx but know that he can have a good quality of life.  He just needs to be stabilized.  What dose of furosemide is he on?  Usually when the breathing rate is increasing it is indicative of fluid building up... you want to combat that before it becomes an emergency.  Perhaps the dose of furosemide is not enough?

        My Boo was dx with DCM (very rare in cats... you are the first I have heard of in awhile in this group!) back in Oct 2011 after also suffering CHF.  After days in oxygen she survived and stabilized with the right meds.  I think your priority needs to be getting the correct diuretic dose and I would also inquire as to starting him on vetmedin.

        Don't give up, your boy is obviously a fighter!!

        Laurie

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 21, 2013
          Hi

          I agree with the others, it's a matter of controlling the fluid with
          diuretics. He may need a greater dose or a more frequent dose. If his breathing
          is creeping up he needs more diuretic. The vet can also add a second
          diuretic if needed called spironolactone.

          I would advise vetmedin too. It's been a wonder for my cats.

          I`m sure you know but DCM can be caused by taurine deficiency. If he is on
          a normal complete catfood this shouldn't be an issue but I would consider
          adding Cardiostrength (taurine, carnitine and CoQ) which is a supplement
          suitable for cats.

          Lyn:)

        • Laurie Stead
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 21, 2013
            Good point, Lyn.  There is a Taurine blood test that should be done to rule the deficiency out.

            Laurie