Re: [FH] Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy

  • joanne marbut
    Message 1 of 31 , Feb 18, 2013
      Atenolol slows the heart rate thereby lowering blood pressure, easing the work the heart does, etc. It's good for preventing heart attacks, CHF, etc.  It does this in a number of ways due to the fact that it's a beta blocker. Read the Wikipedia page.

      >________________________________

      At this time, she also found hyperthyroidism and prescribed Methimazole. When she saw "Marked reduction in left ventricular hypertrophy on the methimazole and atenolol, with no appreciable wall hypertrophy . . and only subtle papillary hypertrophy, mild diastolic dysfunction, and no SMA at this time on Atenolol [and] suspect[ed] a ,majority of the improvement is due to the control of the hyperthyroidism, although it is possible the atenolol could have contributed," she found it "not . . . necessary" to continue the Atenolol. By June 2010, her conclusion was "Equivocal to mild HCM" and "No specific cardiac medications are now needed." He's been doing fine without any heart medication since that time. (I say 'fine' here also with the admission that, for financial reasons, we stopped getting him echoed. We did just find out through HEMOPET that his hyperthyroidism now requires more Methimazole,. which he's now getting.) Anyway . . . just
      wondering at all the posts implying Atenolol is desirable, if not necessary, even if a cat is presenting with only mild HCM.

      >Maybe I'm asking too much here. Sorry, if that's the case. Just let me know. The posts just have me wondering if maybe, though Lahri seems to be doing so well, he still needs Atenolol . . . and maybe, at least for the sake of the prescription, I need to get him back to the cardiologist somehow.
      >
      >Thanks.
      >mb and lahri

    • joanne marbut
      Message 31 of 31 , Feb 18, 2013
        Sorry, I forgot to add the Wikipedia links to earlier posts:

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atenolol

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta_blocker