Re: Fw: [FH] Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy

  • joanne marbut
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 18, 2013
      Per the Wikipedia entry for Plavix, these are just some of the possible adverse effects, some of which you saw. My cat has had no problems with it. But if your's had then clearly it can't take it either not now and maybe later or not at all.

      * Other gastrointestinal side effects
      * Upper GI discomfort (27% vs 29% in patients taking aspirin alone)
      * Gastric or duodenal ulcer, gastritis
      * Diarrhea (4.5% of patients in the CAPRIE trial)[21]
      * Rash (6% overall, 0.33% severe)[22]
      * Respiratory (infrequent)
      * Upper respiratory infections, rhinitis, shortness of breath, cough

    • joanne marbut
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 18, 2013
        Aspirin and Plavix are needed if the disease is in an advanced stage and there's a greater risk of clots forming because the heart can't pump out of the valve all of the fluid. When fluid remains in the valve, clots can form.  But not all cats can tolerate aspirin-if it doesn't cause gastro upsets that are seen it can lead to liver or kidney damage only blood work might show. Hence, my cat had blood work two weeks and then a month after starting aspirin last summer.  She tolerates it fine. She's been on Plavix since '09.  80mg of baby aspirin is given twice a week; Plavix 1/4 tab once a day.  Yes, as with either and with both, we watch for any external injuries and bleeding.  We watch for any symptoms that might indicate internal bleeding as well.