Plavix

  • Jordan
    Message 1 of 43 , Feb 18, 2013
      Hi Rose,

      I was just recently prescribed Plavix and baby aspirin for my kitty. I had some unusual experiences with it.

      I had heard that Plavix was extremely bitter and difficult for some kitties to take. So I purposedly started Sheba on baby aspirin. However, no sooner did I do that and she started vomiting and diarrhea. After 2 doses, I stopped and the vomiting and diarrhea went away. After a lot of personal research I discovered that my girl cannot take ANY NSAID's. Each time she does, it causes vomiting and diarrhea for her.

      I started her on the Plavix initially using a gelcap to cover the bitterness and she had some difficulty chomping the bulky pill down in a pill pocket. So I placed the plavix directly into the pill pocket and to my surprise she took it easily!! No signs it was bitter to her at all. I even crushed the pill right into her wet food and she gobbled it down. I WAS AMAZED!! I heard stories to the contrary.

      Sheba is now doing wonderfully on it. In fact, she seems more active and playful.

      The moral of the story is . . . what works for one kitty doesn't necessarily work for the next. Take the information and shared experiences here and use it to your advantage, but know that your specific cat could have a different outcome. Mine did, and it was better than I expected.

      Love and kitty kisses,
      Jordan and Sheba

    • Missy Zane
      Message 43 of 43 , Sep 4 8:46 AM
        After two years, Sizzle is becoming very resistant to taking his pills, so I'm trying to combine as many as I can into two liquids. This experiment is beginning with Plavix/Diltiazem. He's getting chicken/marshmallow. Ugh... Wedgewood said the sweet marshmallow would disguise the bitter Plavix. I hope they're right!
        Missy

        On 9/4/2015 8:19 AM, Marsha martia@... [feline-heart] wrote:

        Hi Gina,

        That's almost exactly what I do with Brock's Plavix! The local pharmacy
        splits them into quarters and puts each piece inside a capsule. I open
        the capsule, letting the pill drop into the smaller half of the capsule,
        plug it with a Pill Pocket, and wrap the rest of the PP around it. I
        tried liquid Plavix from Wedgewood compounding pharmacy, beef and
        chicken flavor (yeah, right). That didn't go well.

        Marsha & Brock