Re: [FH] Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy

  • Westgold
    Message 1 of 31 , Feb 18, 2013
      Hi Karen -- please don't get scared or overwhelmed by what Joanne wrote here. It sounds like your kitty has very mild HCM. I would suggest you talk to the cardiologist about putting him on atenolol -- but that is probably all he needs right now. His diagnosis is almost the same as my Tigger got at 5 months of age. Tigg started on atenolol right away, and he is now 8 1/2 and has no sign of any problem. NOT every kitty develops fluid on the lungs, and I believe prophalactive lasix or prescription blood thinners would be a mistake. He may never get fluid and never need lasix. It's hard on the body, and totally unnecessary at this point. Just watch his breathing -- if his resting breaths per minute approach 30, talk to the cardiologist -- if they go to 40, that is an emergency. But supplementing ith CoQ10 or natto is fine, etc. Each cat is different.

      It is good that you found this early -- and in such a mild stage. He might never need any more meds. But I'd want him on atenolol if he was my kitty. Many cats with HCM never go on to have any problems with it, live a full life and die of something else entirely. But it is a terrible disease that can turn on a dime. So just keep and eye on your little guy, but treat him as normally as possible -- he doesn't know he's sick. Be prepared to run to the ER if needed -- know where it is and the hours, etc. But like my Tigger, maybe nothing will ever happen. So treat your kitty normally, don't hover -- he will pick up on your stress. Just keep calm and carry on --- we will all help you!

      Message 31 of 31 , Feb 18, 2013
        Sorry, I forgot to add the Wikipedia links to earlier posts:

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atenolol

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta_blocker