Re: Fw: [FH] Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy

  • rosemairew20
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 18, 2013
      I have a question regarding Plavix.

      Has anyone noticed their kitty seems unwell when on it? I was recently prescribed Plavix along with continuing Aspirin. But after a week I noticed my kitties breathing was heavier and starting to loose weight again, was hiding and not very responsive to love and attention. He started refusing to eat the Plavix in a treat and would vomit it up if force fed.

      As a result I stopped giving it to him and now his breathing is normal and he's looking healthy and happy again.

      Has anyone else had similar experience?
    • Dana McCormick
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 18, 2013
        Hi,

        Plavix has had no ill effect on Fuzz. I give his pill in a gel cap along with his Diltiazem.

        Dana & Fuzz

        Has anyone noticed their kitty seems unwell when on it? I was recently prescribed Plavix along with continuing Aspirin. But after a week I noticed my kitties breathing was heavier and starting to loose weight again, was hiding and not very responsive to love and attention. He started refusing to eat the Plavix in a treat and would vomit it up if force fed.

        As a result I stopped giving it to him and now his breathing is normal and he's looking healthy and happy again.

        Has anyone else had similar experience?

      • Laurie Stead
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 18, 2013
          I'm surprised you would be continuing aspirin along with plavix?

          My kitty has had no ill effect with Plavix and has been taking it for over a year.

          Laurie

          ________________________________
          Has anyone noticed their kitty seems unwell when on it? I was recently prescribed Plavix along with continuing Aspirin. But after a week I noticed my kitties breathing was heavier and starting to loose weight again, was hiding and not very responsive to love and attention. He started refusing to eat the Plavix in a treat and would vomit it up if force fed.

          As a result I stopped giving it to him and now his breathing is normal and he's looking healthy and happy again.

          Has anyone else had similar experience?

        • elfinmyst
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 18, 2013
            Hi

            Trixi had aspirin and plavix. We had to discontinue aspirin but the plavix
            she has taken for years. So has Milly and no side effects in either cat so
            far.

          • Westgold

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 18, 2013
                Hi Jean,

                I just put his pills in the gel cap and pop it down the hatch. The CoQ and Cardio Strength are larger, so this is a snap. Fuzz takes pills very well, he rarely spits them out. I use a #4 gel cap.

                Sounds like Harley is like Fuzz's brother Tweet. He only gets CoQ and about once/wk I find that pill here there and every where. He only has to take 1 pill, where everybody else gets 3 and he's the one who spits it out!

                Dana & Fuzz

                From: Dana McCormick <danamcmk@...>
                To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Monday, February 18, 2013, 3:27 PM

                Hi,

                Plavix has had no ill effect on Fuzz. I give his pill in a gel cap along with his Diltiazem.

                Dana & Fuzz

                Has anyone noticed their kitty seems unwell when on it? I was recently prescribed Plavix along with continuing Aspirin. But after a week I noticed my kitties breathing was heavier and starting to loose weight again, was hiding and not very responsive to love and attention. He started refusing to eat the Plavix in a treat and would vomit it up if force fed.

                As a result I stopped giving it to him and now his breathing is normal and he's looking healthy and happy again.

                Has anyone else had similar experience?

              • joanne marbut
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 18, 2013
                  Per the Wikipedia entry for Plavix, these are just some of the possible adverse effects, some of which you saw. My cat has had no problems with it. But if your's had then clearly it can't take it either not now and maybe later or not at all.

                  * Other gastrointestinal side effects
                  * Upper GI discomfort (27% vs 29% in patients taking aspirin alone)
                  * Gastric or duodenal ulcer, gastritis
                  * Diarrhea (4.5% of patients in the CAPRIE trial)[21]
                  * Rash (6% overall, 0.33% severe)[22]
                  * Respiratory (infrequent)
                  * Upper respiratory infections, rhinitis, shortness of breath, cough

                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 18, 2013
                    Aspirin and Plavix are needed if the disease is in an advanced stage and there's a greater risk of clots forming because the heart can't pump out of the valve all of the fluid. When fluid remains in the valve, clots can form.  But not all cats can tolerate aspirin-if it doesn't cause gastro upsets that are seen it can lead to liver or kidney damage only blood work might show. Hence, my cat had blood work two weeks and then a month after starting aspirin last summer.  She tolerates it fine. She's been on Plavix since '09.  80mg of baby aspirin is given twice a week; Plavix 1/4 tab once a day.  Yes, as with either and with both, we watch for any external injuries and bleeding.  We watch for any symptoms that might indicate internal bleeding as well.