10 month old kitten HCM

  • Karen R
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 17 5:39 PM
      Hello again,

      I have not had bloodwork done on my kitten, as the cardiologist said it wouldn't be hyperthyroid based on his age. Should I have this done? He is so scared to go to the vet... I took him to the vet and cardiologist last week. I feel terrible adding additional stress. I have also read about coQ10. Should I be giving him this, or is he too young? Please let me know...I have no idea what to expect or what I could be doing that may be beneficial.

      Karen
    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 18 2:37 AM
        Hi Karen

        I am sorry you find yourself in this situation. I too have cats diagnosed
        with HCM at the age of three months. Trixi was given 2 months to live and is
        currently aged 6 years! The good news is you have found it early and can
        monitor it. All my HCM kittens went onto atenolol to slow down the
        progression of the disease. It may be your boy is very mild and needs no medication
        yet.

        My cats went onto CoQ immediately, all of them, even the kittens. They have
        taken it for 6 years now with no ill effects. I give them 30mg a day but
        be aware once you start it , you can't stop suddenly.

        Heart disease can progress slowly or quickly. They will likely do a re echo
        in 6 months and then you will know if it is progressing. Some cats have
        HCM and live a full lifespan with no ill effects. Remember your kitten is a
        'child' and will want to play and do normal things. Please let him, he is
        totally unaware he has a problem.

        There are things you can do too. When he is resting, sleeping, count his
        breaths. (15 seconds and times by 4) Watch his breathing and see what is
        normal. Then if there is a problem you can pick it up quickly. Up to 30 is
        normal, 30+ caution and 40 an emergency. Remember this is at rest, not
        dreaming, not purring. But the most important thing is to note any changes, such as
        faster breathing, coughing, pulling in the stomach when breathing, double
        breaths.

        Heartkitties are special needs. If he gets an infection, treat it
        aggressively, straight to the vets. They can't cope as well as normal heart
        kitties.

        There is every chance with monitoring and medication as needed your kitten
        will have a long and healthy life. It is much easier to deal with HCM in
        the early stages than a cat presenting with heart failure.

        Lyn:)

      • joanne marbut
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 18 11:27 AM
          You should have blood work done now for a base reading.  If on meds going forward, you need it done every few weeks or months to determine the effect of meds on kidneys and liver-to check if there are any adverse reactions.   You'll need xrays and echos each time you see the cardiologist and anytime you think the cat's not breathing well, or is sicker. Good luck!

          >________________________________

        • Joanne Haeussinger
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 18 1:05 PM
            Karen,
            The other Joanne has a great suggestion in getting a complete blood panel for reference. It's great to have a baseline from which to monitor. You might want to ask for a copy of it, and keep it at home in case you need to bring your kitten to the ER for an emergency. If you get blood work done every 6 months, you can have all of them in a file as the years go on, so you can show what's normal for her.

            This is such a great group full of kind, caring people. If you ever need help, there are many people who have gone through similar experiences, and can share their thoughts/advice.

            :)
            Joanne, Twix, Tigger, and Tagg
          • elfinmyst
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 18 1:17 PM
              Hey

              My HCM kitten started on atenolol only for Maxi, and Topsy is on atenolol
              too. That's the first and only drug the cardiologist used to slow down the
              progression of heart disease. Trixi started in fortekor and spironolactone
              as her condition was worse than the mild cases in the other two. None of
              mine took plavix until they were in heart failure at all. As they got worse,
              more drugs were added as needed.

              Maxi is seven this year. He's a 9kg boy and a huge cuddle cat. He has been
              on atenolol and CoQ only since 3 months old and has yearly scans. Trixi has
              4-6 monthy scans as her condition is worse.