Chloe - Latest Vet Visit - Concerns

  • zan200
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 17, 2013
      Hi All,

      Chloe has been having some problems this week - it seems as if we take one step forward only to immediately move one step back...I was so hoping Chloe's vet visit this week would show some improvement - but not only did her x-rays show some increase in fluid around the chest, but despite my assist-feeding efforts, Chloe's weight was actually down a couple of ounces.

      Also, Chloe has been having trouble eating - lots of "jaw crunching" (is anyone else familiar with this? – Chloe grinds her teeth together and sounds like she's chewing on ice cubes), growling when I'm feeding her, and pawing at her mouth. Vet found an inflamed area on her back gum, but wanted to hold off on antibiotics. However, by Friday afternoon, Chloe was still "crunching and pawing" so I called the vet and said I wanted to try the antibiotics now – I did not want the situation to escalate into an emergency over the weekend. Chloe's successfully taken Zeniquin before, so as of Saturday, it's Z 1X per day.

      The vet keeps telling me the assist-feeding/fluids are what's keeping Chloe alive. After thinking about it though, I became convinced I was actually giving Chloe too much fluid (thus, causing the buildup this week) - the vet said no, but I told her I really wanted to try dialing back the fluids, just in case. Day 2 of only 28 mls. of fluid per day instead of 36 (prior to administering any antibiotics), Chloe seems "perkier", so fingers crossed I was right about the fluids…

      Vet is still amazed Chloe is still with us - but always pessimistic about Chloe's future – especially after Thursday's not-so-great check-up. She actually told me I could choose to stop assist-feeding Chloe at this point, as most people would never have gone this far in the first place. I was horrified – as long as Chloe continues to have quality of life, we press on full force.

      Today, after spending the night in her usual spot snuggled up with my mother, Chloe ate a little on her own (less crunching/no pawing), gave the carpet a few horizontal scratches, and then for one brief second stretched full out in a "happy cat" position – that's why we'll keep on fighting…

      Take Care Everyone.
      Purrs and Prayers,
      Suzanne and Chloe
    • Dana McCormick
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 18, 2013
        Hu Suzanne,

        I'm sorry Chloe is still struggling.

        Regarding the jaw crunching, Fuzz does that. I have no clue what it's from. I used to think it was teeth, but he does it on both sides of his mouth and doesn't do it all the time.

        Dana & Fuzz

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 18, 2013
          Hi

          My Maxi crunched when he ate. It was a tooth misaligned, we had it removed
          and he's been fine since:)