OT - Cat proofing furniture

  • Diane
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 17, 2013
      My cats are normally SOOOO good, I have ceiling high carpeted poles
      in the LR, sisal kicking around, carpeting patches in a couple of
      rooms upstairs. But we got a new microfiber couch 2 weeks ago and my
      oldest feral is already hitting it. We haven't seen her doing it, but
      we've heard it and if we run downstairs she is just settling onto the
      couch. I'll keep a bottle of water around in case she does it in
      front of me, but I can't pick her up and put her on one of the poles
      as a reminder! I've been covering one side in a blanket but we found
      marks on the other corner as well (and fragments of claws) and I'm
      sure it's only a matter of time before she moves to the back or
      something. <sigh> And I was so sure they would be ok with it!

      So what should I try? Double sided tape? I have some bitter apple
      spray from many years ago when I tried to get them to stop eating my
      mini roses (not sure it worked then either).

      I know I can hit up google but I'd sure rather hear from people who
      have had good success with something!

      Thanks so much,
      Diane
    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 17, 2013
        Hey :)

        _http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Pet-Sticky-Furniture-Deterrent/dp/B0006NE4QC_

        (http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Pet-Sticky-Furniture-Deterrent/dp/B0006NE4QC)

        Its a clear sticky strip that sticks their paws when they try and scratch.
        The alternative is clipping everyone's claws back but that affects their
        ability to defend and jump.

        Lyn:)

      • marianna.mayer
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 17, 2013
          I have tried the two sided sticky tape...sorry it did not work for me.
          I do clip everyone's nails regularly, but just the front paws once a week. That helps, and it does not impede their ability to jump.
          As to defending themselves, my cats are all indoor cats. They don't fight among themselves...thank goodness! But if they play too hard, they cannot hurt each other with sharp claws. The trimming routine does not entirely prevent destruction of upholstered furniture however. So I have done several things that have pretty much ended the destruction. Here are my solution:

          There are lots of scratching posts around the house.

          I also have purchased those cardboard scratching rectangular things that fit into a cardboard holder that lays like a sliding pond on the floor. One of my cats really loves those. These can be scented with catnip to encourage and attracts play. The inserts are replaceable, and last a long time. Don't know if these are available outside of the US.

          I also drape the tops of my upholstered chairs with towels that match the color of the upholstery. This way it doesn't look too unsightly. Before company is expected, I pull them off.

          Finally I purchased clear packing tape, the kind that's about 3 " wide. I have run strips along the corners of the upholstery that is the most popular for cat scratching. This has really really worked, and the strips don't need to be replaced. In fact my cats have never returned to these once upon a time favorite locations.
          HTH

          Marianna

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 18, 2013
            Hi, Diane.
            The shinny side is on the outside, the sticky side of the tape goes against the fabric... up & down [vertically] the area of your furniture you want to protect. Be generous with the tape. You may need more than 1 length wise strip. On the corners of a wing chair I have to use several parallel strips [side by side] to cover the corner of each side. I think the clear tape works better b/c it's easier to apply, stays on better/longer, and it works! Also less expensive than those difficult sticky tapes. Those never worked for me. The clear tape lasts and last. So long in fact that, they are still on after 2 yrs, and my cats have forgotten all about those spots. But I'm not taking any chances.
            The sisal things you mentioned I would *not* put next to the furniture. Don't encourage your cats to return to those particular areas. Instead put them in an area that is out of the way, but accessible to your cat. I don't think the sisal you mentioned is the same as these cardboard scratching rectangles I mentioned, though. Do you want me to find the product name?

            Marianna

            Its a clear sticky strip that sticks their paws when they try and scratch.
            The alternative is clipping everyone's claws back but that affects their
            ability to defend and jump.

            Lyn:)

          • mary beth fitzpatrick
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 18, 2013
              Also, another idea is to use clear *contact paper* which can be cut in large pieces. I have used it with great success and learned only that doubling it saves the furniture better. Good claws can get through it.

              Good luck, Diane !

              mb