plavix - missed dose

  • Jordan
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 15, 2013
      Hello All

      Question . . . I believe shortly after I gave Sheba her plavix tonight she proceeded to throw up her dinner. It looked like it was mostly kibble. But it was likely her plavix dose too.

      She desired more food which she ate (wet food) and kept down. My girl does this periodically. Unexplained, isolated incidences of vomiting. All tests have been unremarkable.

      Should I give her another plavix dose in the morning? Or tomorrow night when due again? I don't want to overdose her, but I don't want her to miss a dose either??

      Thanks,

      Jordan and Sheba

    • Laurie Stead
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 16, 2013
        Hi Jordan,

        Occasionally Boo does the same.... if the vomiting is
        within 30mins of pills being administered, I was told to re-pill.  Not
        to be completely disgusting, but I always dissect the vomit and find the
        pills to be 100% sure they are not still in her.  Not sure if you are
        crushing the pills in her food, if that is the case it would obviously
        not enable you to locate them.

        For now, you could give her the Plavix this morning and just continue to give it to her in the mornings, rather than evenings.

        Laurie

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 16, 2013
          Vomiting is normal. It will occur from time to time. It's a concern only when it happens every day, or a few times a week, (a hairball or object can cause an obstruction or it could be a reaction to a med.)  Try giving Laxatone daily to help hair and objects pass.  As for the meds,your best bet would be to ask your vet, before this happens again, exactly which drugs can be safely given again or should be and how long you should wait before dosing again. Plavix can be given again shortly after vomiting if you think it wasn't digested. But it's not something that can be done a few times a week or month because the blood thinning properties could possibly cause internal bleeding.  If you want to wait after she vomited, then give a dose a few hours after she vomited and then dose the next dose at the regular schedule.  Good luck!

        • Jordan
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 17, 2013
            Thank you everyone for the replies. As it turned out, by the time I got your replies . . . more than 12 hours had passed. So, I just gave Sheba her next Plavix dose at dinner the following day.

            However, in the future if this happens, I will try administering the meds in the AM instead.

            Thanks again,
            Jordan and Sheba