Re: [FH] McGovern, 16 years old, is gone (long)

  • Westgold
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 14, 2013
      Oh, Cathy, your letter made me cry. You do not have anything to be sorry for. It's a testament to the great care you gave him all his life that he lived so long! He was so blessed to be your kitty, and to have you to take take care of him, especially during his illness -- he knew that, and gave you all his love in return.

      The way he passed was exactly the way I lost my first kitty to HCM -- only it was on the livingroom floor instead of in the car. She screamed and I found her in a big puddle of fluid. I did pick her up and held her upside down to drain the fluids, and also tried mouth-to-mouth, but she was already gone. Fortunately it is fast when it happens. I didn't know anything about hCM at that time, she didn't even have a murmur -- but I sure learned fast after that. Now I have sweet Tigger who also has HCM. He's already lived 8 years since his diagnosis.

      We cannot let anybody give us a timeline! Look how long Gov lived! That is just wonderful. Proper care, proper meds and lots of love -- that's the formula!

      You should deal with this in your own way. I had my soul-kitty Pooh cremated separately. He was returned to me in a beautiful little stone urn that matched the color of his fur. I have it on the bookshelf in the hallway, and give him a kiss or a pat everytime I walk by. It is VERY comforting to have him here.

      I know we will see our kitties again -- they are happy and healthy and young again, and waiting for us.

      When you're up to it, please post a memorial to Gov on our memorial site -- http://www.AngelKitties.com -- we'd love to see his photo and hear how you met, etc

      sincerely, Michelle, Susie Q & Tigger Too

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 15, 2013
        Hi Cathy, my heart goes out to you, I just lost my kitty of 16 years (I'm 52), almost the same age ranges.  It's shocking, I miss her so much sometimes.  But it's been two weeks and it doesn't hurt as bad.  Just remember that your kitty isn't suffering any more.  Kitties are only mean to live so long, as much as we wish they could live to be 50.  Nature just took it's course.  Maybe we'll get to see them all someday.  Linda