New here, kitty Roscoe survives saddle thrombus

  • svr_44
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 13, 2013
      Last Saturday my dad's cat Roscoe who is a rag doll and almost 4, was not acting himself, and screamed when he was picked up. my dad took him to the vet where he was diagnosed with saddle thrombosis, no femoral pulse, cool back pads. However he had a low HR and fever, opposite symptoms. started Aspirin (and morphine for a few days for the pain of the clot, and an antibiotic shot in case) within hours of him acting funny and by his next appt wed he was almost fully recovered, his tests came back normal, except for a small amt of fluid in his lungs. Heart looked good on X-ray, blood work fine, physical exam great! The vet thinks he may have a touch of pneumonia or bronchial issue and think the clot may have come from the lung? The vet said this is only his 2nd cat in like 20 years to have lived through this. My dad always calls him "Roscoe the Wonder cat" and he really is!!! So happy for my dad right now. Vet said he has to come back in a month and will call to check up in a few days. I feel so relieved, even though it will still be awhile until he is 100% :) hoping this lung issue clears up on its own now without diuretics or antibiotics. Vet recommended an echo but my dad is hesitant. He has said Roscoe still seems tired isn't playing with little kitty as much. He's eating, using the cat box, clear lungs, breathing fine, seems happy but exhausted from the whole ordeal.

      You don't think he is in chf? The vet would have said that right? His next follow up is in one month. The vet recommended an echo, but my dad is hesitant to do it because he'd have to travel to another town, expense and Roscoe is stable.....what do you think?

      Thank you!
    • Westgold
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 14, 2013
        Wow, thanks so much for posting this wonderful news. We have other kitties here who have also survived clots. Each kitty is different, so we can never know what will happen.

        But I believe that Roscoe definitely has heart disease -- the clot, and the fluid in the lungs, all major signs. You were very lucky that you got this warning. Many cats with heart disease just drop dead with no warning. If your Dad loves Roscoe, he must get the echocardiogram with a real cardiologist asap. Only an echo can tell the heart's exact status. The cardiologist will be able to start Roscoe on the proper meds now, so that he can live as good a life as possible. It is his best chance for a normal life. Roscoe may be stable now, but if there's one clot, there could be another around the corner, and he might not survive the second one. Don't take any chances. The sooner he gets on the proper meds, the better.

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 14, 2013
          Hi

          Michelle is absolutely right. He urgently needs the echo, he has all the
          signs of heart failure. A cardiologist would be able to tell exactly what is
          wrong with his heart and he is also a breed which is genetically
          susceptible to HCM. He would then get the exact treatment he needs.

          Very few cats survive a saddle thrombosis. He truly is a wondercat. He will
          need treatment for his heart failure and I would get the earliest
          echocardiogram available.

        • Laurie Stead
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 14, 2013
            So happy to hear Roscoe is better but your dad should definitely do the echo!  That is the only way you can rule out heart disease.  You don't want to wait until there is another emergency.  Heart disease goes undetected in x-rays all the time.

            Laurie

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 14, 2013
              Hi there,

              What a brave and lucky cat Roscoe is! Our 6 month old Raggie presented with breathing problems last December. Our local vet did various tests over the following week including x-rays, but referred her to a vet 2 hours away as they still couldn't diagnose.
              Within a few hours of her being there she was echoed and diagnosed with moderate HCM and was already in heart failure sadly. The vet - Langfordwww.langfordvets.co.uk/ is attached to the University of Bristol and they conducted a study which showed 30% of Ragdolls carry the gene mutation for this disease. Have a look at this website which details this further http://www.fabcats.org/hcm/. We were unlucky and Dolly died a short while later so to give Roscoe the best chance he needs to have an echo soon.
              Many cats on here live years after a diagnosis but only with the proper medication and management of this disease. I was terrified that Dolly would suffer from thrombus while I was at work and the vet prescribed aspirin to lessen the risk. Apparently it is excruciatingly painful for a cat and as Roscoe has presented with this before any other symptoms have shown, I would seek to get a diagnosis even more urgently.
              Have a look at fabcats and speak to your Dad about what you read.
              Best wishes and luck to you all

              Louise