Re: [FH] Kitty at home, help please

  • Westgold
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 12, 2013
      She is much more comfortable at home than in the clinic. Just keep feeding her regularly. Keep an eye on her breathing. I would take her into your bedroom tonight alone, close the door -- bring litter box & food & water in too, etc. Then she will be close and if something happens and she cries, you'll hear it. Her situation is guarded, all you can do is carry on and pray for the best. Just do what needs to be done, that's all you can do.
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 12, 2013
        Marina,

        Sometimes just the stress of being at the vet can take a few days to wear off. The Atenolol can make them feel lethargic. It always did with our heart kitties. I'd keep her quiet tonight, in your room. Maybe even for a couple of days. Syringe feed her, putting a little water in her food that you're syringing to keep her hydrated.

        All the new medications can be a little overwhelming on her little body, so give them a chance to work and her body to get used to them.

        Carol, Misty and the gang
      • bubbacat12003
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 12, 2013
          Marina:
          I'm going to agree with others in thinking she's recovering from a high
          stress situation. Plus, Atenolol literally slows down the heart. I took it
          myself for a few years and I felt tired & sleepy all the time. It controlled
          my BP so well, I put up with it, but it sure was exhausting. It did get a
          little better over time.

          I would be afraid to let her have access to those stairs while she's still
          a bit weak and wobbly. Don't want to risk a tumble right now!

          Jo

          In a message dated 2/12/2013 6:17:20 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,

[...]

        • marianna.mayer
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 12, 2013
            Why not benazepril in place of Atenolol? Can you ask your vet about switching. My boy did quite well on benazepril.

            Marianna