Chloe Update - Vet Visit Results

  • zan200
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 8, 2013
      Hi Everyone,

      Just wanted to post an update after Chloe's vet visit yesterday afternoon. Since I always seem to have bad luck if I even breathe any positive news...I'm NOT going to say:

      Chloe's weight was up 1 ounce.
      Chloe's chest x-ray showed quite a bit more clear space - evidenced by her taking a deep breath before giving a big Burmese "yell" at the vet.
      Chloe's hydration level was very good.
      When I read off the fluid/food amounts I was getting into Chloe each day, the vet was amazed - she's never had a client try supplementing their kitty to this degree - she didn't think it was possible. She mentioned over and over that the supplementation is what's keeping Chloe going.
      No Sub-Q fluids - I knew it, and vet agreed, Chloe reacts extremely negatively to any Sub-Q's - fluid goes directly into the chest and is not absorbed - causing a dangerous and potentially fatal fluid-buildup crisis.

      Vet called this morning with Chloe's latest blood work. Kidney levels are up slightly, but the vet does not want to change ANYTHING. I was concerned about the increase in meds. hurting the kidneys, and was wondering about adding a higher calorie food to Chloe's diet, but again, the vet said we're not to alter anything in any way. Chloe is not stressed at all by the syringe feedings/fluids, and has been spending her time happily relaxing, like any 19 year old senior kitty.

      The vet wants to see Chloe next Thursday for another check-up - I know we're walking a very thin tightrope, and any tiny change can throw our situation back into crisis - but for this moment...we're hanging in there...

      Chloe's receiving 35 mls. of fluids/85+ mls. food per day. (my goal is 25 mls. 4X per day = 100mls).

      Chloe and I can't thank you all enough - I know she would not be here without your help and support...

      Purrs and prayers to all,

      Suzanne and Chloe
    • Westgold

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 8, 2013
          WOW that's great, Suzanne!!!
          I agree...SubQ fluids can be dangerous....and stressful. Great that you are managing by syringing fluids and food. That was my method as well...much safer once you and your cat get the hang of it. Your care is making all the difference. Congratulations!
          HUGS

          Marianna

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 8, 2013
            Hi Suzanne

            That's great news, stable is good:) You're doing a wonderful job for Chloe!

            :) Lyn