Weight Gain, too Much?

  • binarina1
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 7, 2013
      I'm worried about my cats weight, when he was fine and healthy he weighed 12.4 lbs. when he went into heart failure he weighed 10.4 lbs (his weight loss was very gradual and hard to notice) when I got him back from the emergency vets after three days he weighed 9.8 lbs. Now he's 11.2 lbs.

      This gain has been gradual, I've kept an eye on it, he was diagnosed in October, so it's been a while. But this week alone he has gone from 11 to 11.2. Yes, I know it's only .2 and he does eat A LOT (he's ravenous most if the time because of his medication)

      What should I do? stress him out with a vet visit, he gets really upset. Or...do I cut his food down slightly and see if he stabilises weight wise? I don't want to upset him unnecessarily.

      I'm very worried about him. Don't think I've had a decent nights sleep since October. He's Siamese, we have a very special bond, those of you with Siamese cats will no doubt know what I mean. I feel I'm constantly watching him, his breathing, his eating, his litter tray usage, his drinking. I'm obsessed.

      I'm grateful for this group, before I found it I was reading hundreds of websites, and cats forums for any snippets of information. So thanks for being here.
    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 7, 2013
        Hi

        I wouldn't worry too much he has put weight on unless he gets past his
        healthy weight. Then he might need to be on a calorie controlled diet food with
        vet supervision. 200g increase can be due to a full bladder, so I wouldn't
        worry too much about that.

        You need to relax a little with him if you can. Easy said, I know. But he
        will know if you are stressed and pick up on it. My boy reached 9kg last
        year and had to go on a strict diet, he's now 7.5 kg.

      • binarina1
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 7, 2013
          Hello, thanks. I think I just keep panicking that it's fluid. Although last time he lost weight rather than gained it.

          He has developed a spasm, which has been checked out, and although his breathing is fine when he's awake, when he's in a deep sleep (I think he's dreaming because he's twitching too) his respiratory rate is greatly increased. As soon as he wakes it's back to normal.

          I think I'll get him checked out, will put my mind at rest, hopefully nothing is wrong.

          I'm more relaxed than when we first got him back, I was a nervous wreck then. But I do think I need to try and relax more, I agree, he'll pick up on my stress.

          Thanks again.

          > Hi
          >
          > I wouldn't worry too much he has put weight on unless he gets past his
          > healthy weight. Then he might need to be on a calorie controlled diet food with
          > vet supervision. 200g increase can be due to a full bladder, so I wouldn't
          > worry too much about that.
          >
          > You need to relax a little with him if you can. Easy said, I know. But he
          > will know if you are stressed and pick up on it. My boy reached 9kg last
          > year and had to go on a strict diet, he's now 7.5 kg.
          >
          > Lyn

        • binarina1
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 9, 2013
            Just a quick update, we took him in, they couldn't hear any fluid, his heart rate was good, breathing fine. And they are pretty sure the weight gain is just normal.

            Someone asked me what I am feeding him via email, I couldn't reply for some reason, but he eats Royal Canin dried food, he will not eat wet food, has no interest in it whatsoever.

            I'm taking him in again next week for some bloodwork to see how he's coping with the many tablets.