Re: [FH] New to this...

  • Westgold
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 6, 2013
      hi -- welcome to the group nobody wants to join. Alfie sounds like a sweetie, is he a purebred? My Scottish Fold Tigger had a 3-4 murmur when I bought him, and was diagnosed with HCM at 5 months of age. He was put on atenolol immediately. We were able to get him successfully neutered, and he's now 8 1/2 years old. I have him on an all-canned diet free-fed, which is the best thing, and he stays at 9 lbs. You can't even tell he's sick. He doesn't want to play as much as I do, but we still play a little everyday -- he needs the exercise.

      But this is a horrible disease, and it can turn on a dime. So you have to be prepared. Know where the nearest ER is, and their hours, etc. You can keep an eye on his resting breathing rate -- it should be around 22-28 breaths per minute. If it goes over 30, that's a warning, and over 40 in an emergency.

      You have to know that HCM is not an immediate death sentence. we have cats here who are 18-19, and still ticking. There are all kinds of drugs that can be added if needed. You need to just keep calm and carry on. Keep his life as stress-free as possible. Try not to hover over him -- he will catch on to your worry. He doesn't know he's sick, so let him live a normal life. Just be prepared.

      We are here to answer all your questions -- among us we've been through almost everything.

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 6, 2013
        Hi -- a couple people have asked me about diet. Since cats are obligate carnivores, all cats should be eating canned food only. They are not able to properly digest wheat, corn, rice, vegetables, fruit, etc. You can feed any name-brand canned food -- Fancy Feast, Friskies, Whiskas in cans, etc. (No cats I know like Iams.) Just be sure there is NO GLUTEN. You can free-feed. Add a half can of hot water to the can of food, and just leave it out. They love the soup and will drink that off right away -- then add a little more water to keep it moist. Let them nibble as much as they want anytime. Plump cats will slim down naturally without losing muscle, and skinny cats will build musle -- all that protein & oil also makes their coats just gleam. This extra water will also help keep them properly hydrated. Dry food sucks the liquid out of the cat as it passes through. And this diet will also prevent diabetes for most cats, and also help prevent kidney problems & crystals -- the extra water keeps them flushed out. This is the best book on cat care -- http://www.amazon.com/Your-Cat-Simple-Secrets-Stronger/dp/0312358024/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1360185904&sr=1-1&keywords=elizabeth+hodgkins
        I am one of the new ones here too with my Harley and he also has pancreatitis. I have been a nervous wreck for months now. But your e-mail makes me feel a bit better. You mentioned some kind of food you are feeding - could you please give more details - you said canned diet-free fed - what is that?

        Jean and Harley

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 6, 2013
          Hi

          I am sorry about Alfie. My girl Trixi and my boy, Maxi were diagnosed at 12
          weeks of age. Maxi was mild and was put onto atenolol and is now six years
          and has barely progressed. Trixi was much more serious and went onto
          fortekor, atenolol at first. She was given a few months to live. She also is six
          years now and has survived a heart attack and heart failure and a clot.
          She is on a lot of medication and is currently severe but stable as she has
          been for over two years.

          No one can tell how long any kitty has. My Toby had HCM and died of liver
          cancer last year. Sam had HCM and died age 15 after a car accident. All my
          newly diagnosed cats were put onto atenolol though as it slows down the
          progression.

          There is absolutely nothing you did to cause it. It is a genetic disorder
          he inherited as a kitten. It's hard at first, I remember coming downstairs
          to check the kittens in the night and being upset and so hurt. I wont say
          I`m used to it, but I enjoy them every day. They play, have fun and are
          totally unaware they're sick:)