Re: rapid breathing and CHF

  • Lisa
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 6, 2013
      Hi Jordan,

      I'm relatively new to all this stuff but the biggest challenge for our (blind) Lumi will be fluid. Unfortunately, we're learning a trip to the vet hospital is so stressful that it brings on a fluid crisis.

      Several weeks ago, Lumi had a fluid emergency partially brought on by a vet visit. (Oxygen and Lasix injections followed overnight.) Fluid wasn't yet on our radar, but he then went on a minimum dose of Lasix.

      Last week, he had a second fluid emergency -- also brought on by a follow-up trip to the cardiologist. This time, we were on the lookout for signs. His heart doctor checked him upon arrival: no concerns. But then, after 10 minutes of checks/tests, Lumi didn't look as good so he listened again: major fluid concerns. (Again, he stayed for ~5 hours on oxygen and Lasix injections.)

      The doctor really couldn't believe how quickly the situation turned around: 10 minutes! We think he had a little bit of fluid but the stress of the visit made it much worse. Now his Lasix dose at home has been doubled.

      So our experience is that fluid can, indeed, come on quickly if the kitty is stressed.

      Lisa and Lumi